Chapter 12

Chapter 12

[2 weeks later]

Two weeks had passed since the incident; since I had been in the hospital; and since Harry had saved me. We were a week away from Thanksgiving break and I could not wait until we had a break. I needed a break. Most people had heard about what had happened to me with Ryder at the party two weeks ago and I felt humiliated that so many people knew; although a lot of people, Ashley included, had been considerably nicer towards me. When I say nicer, I mean Ashley hasn’t been giving me death glares, we’ve just been ignoring each other.

When Harry had run to the hospital with me in his arms, he had left Ryder there alone thinking he wouldn’t wake up before the police arrived. Unfortunately though, Ryder had managed to drag himself from the party and had not been arrested. When my father heard about what had happened, he was furious. He started a case with the police and finally got Ryder sent to a Juvenile detention center where he would hopefully stay.

Also over these two weeks, I haven’t seen Harry. At all. He hasn’t been in English, probably tutoring in that time, and the only time I’ve seen him is in the halls. Or at least I think it’s him. All I see is a mop of curly hair, standing taller than most around him, although it could have been Edward…. As much as I wanted to stop him in the hallway and demand for answers about why he hasn’t been speaking to him, I wouldn’t know what to say to him. On the one hand, I’m furious; who saves someone’s life and then ignores them? On the other hand, I would feel guilty. Harry had saved me, carried me to the hospital, and stayed with me until he was sure I was ok. That was pretty big of him, seeing as we weren’t super close. Maybe he was trying to make up for the fact that his brother is a major douchebag. Yeah, that’s probably it.

I was so lost in thought, as I was walking through the hallways on Thursday, (Two more days until break!), I didn’t notice someone trying to call my name. Suddenly my headphones were ripped, rather painfully, from my ears.

“Alyssa, HELLO???!” I heard Robin exclaim behind me. Robin had been even more eccentric with the fact that she and Andy were now dating. She was even happier, which made me happy, but that happiness also brought more energy which I could not keep up with.

“Hi Robin,” I said, smiling at my best friend. I was glad Andy wasn’t with her so I could speak freely to her, “What are you doing tomorrow night?” I asked her, hoping she was free. When her face fell though, I could tell she wasn’t going to give me the response I was hoping for.

“Lyssie, I’m really sorry, don’t hate me, but I promised Andy I would go to the Style’s party tonight. Maybe Saturday?” She asked, looking extremely guilty. I should be accepting the fact that I was not the only person Robin had to make plans with, but it still hurt to not have her always available. The fact that she was going to the party on top of it though brought back painful memories.

Ever since the ‘incident’, I had been pretty normal, surprising me and everyone else around me. I didn’t go into depression but I guess my mother’s death, and Ferris Bueller, had taught me that you really can’t just sit around and wait for life to happen, you’ve got to move on. The only thing that I was having problems with though was the nightmares. Every night, I had really violent dreams that someone was attacking me again and Harry came into save me but got murdered. The dream always ended with me crying over Harry’s bloody body and a figure suddenly looming over me with a knife in hand, dripping with Harry’s blood.

I shook myself from my thoughts and forced a smile on my face, “It’s fine, Rob, I understand. Have fun tomorrow!” I exclaimed, hugging her. She hugged me back and we exchanged our goodbyes before heading to our last class.