Chapter 65: Overdue Lessons

"Ok, so first you check your mirrors and make sure they're in place," Ryder said.

Julie took a deep breath, checked the mirrors, then said, "Check."

She was sitting in Ryder's minivan, taking the driver's seat for the first time. Ryder was in the passenger seat coaching her through every step, but her heart was racing so quickly and loudly that she was having a hard time hearing him.

"Seat belts," he said.

"Check," she responded.

"And you know which pedal is which?" he asked.

She nodded and pointed to a thin one on her right. "That's the accelerator," she said. Then she pointed at the other and said, "That's the brake."

"Ok, good," Ryder said. "Now do it just like I showed you earlier. Turn the key in the ignition and get the engine going."

Julie turned the key and as soon as she did, the speakers started booming. 

Sam: Knows just what to say so my whole day is ruined!

Julie gave Ryder a look. Then she searched through the radio buttons for a button to turn things off.

Tyler with Crystal Army: Cause she's bittersweet. She knocks me off of my feet. And I can't help myself. I don't want anyone else. 

She pressed different buttons that didn't seem to make a difference. She turned on the wiper blades and then turned them back off. Then she turned the cold air on and the seat warmers but she couldn't get the volume.

Tyler with Crystal Army: She's a mystery. She's too much for me. But I keep comin' back for more. Oh, I keep comin' back for more. She's just the girl I'm 

"Here," Ryder said, reaching over and turning a knob that was clearly labeled VOLUME.

"Oh," Julie said, embarrassed. 

He smiled and said, "You know this song is about me, right?"

"Not according to Sammy," Ryder responded. "Besides, it's a good song. Forget that, though. Move the gearshift from park to drive."

"Uh..." she wavered.

He gave her a look. "The P is for park and the D is for drive."

"Right, right," she said. She struggled to shift the gear stick, clearly nervous, but finally got it to move from letter to letter. 

"Ok," he said. "Now put both hands on the wheel firmly and step on the gas."

Julie nodded and leaned forward. With her hands around the steering wheel, she pressed her right foot down.

After a long pause, Ryder said, "We're not moving."

"Ok, sorry," Julie said quickly. "I guess I panicked."

"It's ok," he said. "Just go again." 

She tried again, this time actually stepping on the pedal. The car began to move. Very, very slowly. 

She halted to a stop and said, "There!"

"Julie."

"What?"

"We've only moved like four inches."

Julie looked out the window. "Oh," she said, disappointed. "Well, I guess that's it for today!"

She reached for the gear shift but he stopped her hand and said, "Come on. You can do this."

Julie nodded once again and then moved a few more inches forward before coming to an abrupt stop.