Chapter 55: The Second Night

"Award winning?" asked Santana with a laugh. "She won a Teen Choice."

"So did you," Shana told her. Santana nodded, accepting the response and turning her attention to the stage, where Julie was greeting everyone.

"Hey South Beach!" Julie exclaimed, smiling as the crowd responded favorably to her presence. "I hope you all don't mind me crashing your party for a bit."

The crowd cheered again. "Oh I love her," said the girl Ryder was talking to as she turned around to watch.

"Yeah," Ryder responded. "Me, too."

He followed the girl as she tried to get a better view but they couldn't get past the crowd, so they stood in the back and listened.

"I'm going to slow it down just a little bit," Julie said. "To play a song that I've never ever played before so... Don't hate me if it sucks, ok?"

She laughed nervously and grabbed the microphone tightly as the DJ played the track from her phone. "What's happening here?" asked Kitty as she joined her fronts who were up front.

"Julie's going to sing," Jake said.

"No shit, but why?" Kitty responded. The music began so Bree shushed them both and the crowd slowly silenced.

["Back to December" by Taylor Swift.]

Julie: I'm so glad you made time to see me. How's life? Tell me how's your family? I haven't seen them in a while...

Julie didn't bother looking around for Ryder, knowing that he was there listening regardless. She could see her friends who were right in front of her giving her comfort and the rest of them were around somewhere, listening in.

Julie: You've been good, busier than ever. We small talk, work and the weather. Your guard is up and I know why... Because the last time you saw me is still burned in the back of your mind. You gave me roses and I left them there to die...

As Ryder heard the words Julie was singing, he almost wanted to believe them. To rush to her side and just kiss her there in front of her. But he'd fallen for this sing-a-song, make it all better technique of hers before and it wasn't enough anymore.

Julie: So this is me swallowing my pride, standing in front of you saying, "I'm sorry for that night..." And I go back to December all the time. It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you. Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine. I'd go back to December, turn around and change my own mind. I go back to December all the time...

As Ryder began to walk around the crowd, knowing he had to get himself out of there, Julie finally spotted him. He was the only person moving and easy to see that way, so she followed him with her gaze.

Julie: I miss your tanned skin, your sweet smile. So good to me, so right. And how you held me in your arms that September night. The first time you ever saw me cry.

Some of her friends saw him, too, all of them watching in hopes that he wouldn't leave.

Julie: Maybe this is wishful thinking. Probably mindless dreaming. But if we loved again, I swear I'd love you right.

But as Julie made her final plea for him to stay, he took a deep breath and walked away.

Julie: I'd go back in time and change it but I can't. So if the chain is on your door I understand...

Under different circumstances she might've cut the performance short and gone after him but it wasn't up to her anymore. This was give and take and she'd just given. Now it was his turn to give back for her to take and she'd done all she could.