Chapter 11: The interview

Chapter 11

-Katniss-

Caesar greets the audience welcom before he pulls some jokes. But in the end he welcomes us up at the stage.

"Well I know that we all have been longing for this, so let's not drag it out even more", he says loudly. "Here you have them, the star-crossed lovers from District 12".

The crowd roars and Peeta takes my hand before we walk out on the stage and up to Caesar.

"Hi there", Caesar says when we arrive to him.

I hug him and the crowd gives off jealous screams. Peeta and Caesar shakes hands before we all three sits down, Peeta and I on the love seat and Caesar in a chair diagonally in front of us.

"Welcome", Caesar says. "Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark..."

But I interrupts him with a smile and giggle.

"Let me stop you right there Caesar", I say. "It's Katniss Mellark now".

"Of course it is", Caesar says smiling big. "Forgive me, I completely forgot for a second".

"It's okay Caesar, I forget it too", Peeta says. "Katniss must still remind me of it, I can't believe that we're actually married".

"Yes it must be a dream come true", Caesar says.

"And more", Peeta agrees. "If you think about our past, one would not think that we could be married".

"No, you've suffered a lot, and I have to say that I'm truly deeply sorry for all you have suffered", Caesar says visibly sad.

"It's okay, we've gotten stronger", I say, that's not entirely true though, I still break down when I hear my sister's name. "We've survived two Hunger Games, one rebellion and Peeta..."

My words die out when I see Peetas eye color. It changes from ocean clear blue to dark blue.

Oh no, oh no he's getting a flashback. Here. On stage. Oh no. He hasn't had one for two months and of course he should get one now during the interview. Typical. Oh my poor Peeta.

Peeta begins to shake uncontrollably and Caesar looks scared at him. But I know what I must do.

I put myself in Peeta's knee and his arms locks around me while hugging me tightly.

"Peeta it's okay", I say soothing and stroke his hair. "Peeta you're okay, you're safe, Peeta do you know who I am?"

"Katniss ... Katniss Everdeen?" He asks confused with his eyes closed.

"No Peeta, think", I say while I'm still stroking his blond hair.

"Katniss ... Katniss Hawthorne?" He asks hurt.

"No Peeta!"

"Katniss Mellark?"

"Yes Peeta! That's my name", I say smiling.

"You love me, real or not real?"

"Real", I say.

When Peeta's eyes flutter open he has his clear ocean color back.

"Forgive me Katniss", he whispers.

He always says that after he has a flashback, even though he never hurts me anymore.

He hugs me before I slide back down on the love seat next to him.

It's dead quiet and everyone stares at us.

"What ... uh ... what was..." Caesar doesn't seem to find the right words.

"It's called flashbacks", I say and take Peeta's hand tightly. "It's moments from where he receives memories from the time when he was hijacked by the Capitol during Snow's regime, that made him forget me and think that I wanted to kill him, he was healed though, he's himself entirely nowadays, so when he does get a flashback he just sits and shake and want me to sit in his arms and talk to him".