Chapter 14

Officer Jones flinch at his own chair, where he's been uncomfortably sleeping at for the last 9 hours. His slumber was disturbed from the faint noises coming from the outside but he still continues to keep his eyes close as he listen to the voices. He let out a yawn and pry his left eye open to take a peek at his wristwatch which clearly stated 7:12 in the morning. He close his eyes again and used his right hand to touch the table in front of him where a box of doughnuts was placed, only to feel nothing but an empty box.

He flew his eyes open and lean forward to the messy table of his partner where tons of boxes and cups were scattered. His eyes move slowly to his right where he clearly see his partner, Officer Williams, staring unblinking in front of his laptop watching relentlessly yet again, the CCTV footage he gave to him since last night.

He groaned as he stretch his arms then massaging his growling stomach. "Holy mother of doughnuts, have you been up all night?"

William didn't even cut his attention from the monitor and simply nod. "Obviously since you drift off right away to an early sleep."

Jones scoffed. "It was 10pm in the evening and I was hungry." His huge tummy already began to growl in hunger as he remembers that he's been eating nothing but doughnuts last night. "So... got something?"

"Not from the video." Williams mumbled.

Jones stared at his partner, bemused.

Then Officer Williams adjust the position of his laptop wherein it will be facing into the senior officer's direction. Jones curiously stare at he screen and began reading the article which what the laptop screen shows.

"An explosion at an apartment in Japan." He began as he lean closer to the screen. "Starting from today- there's already 9 people confirmed to be dead." The officer says as he read the words written on the screen. He pulled himself back and sat upright to his chair, trying to sink in and connect the news he just read to their case. However, he can't think properly because of his appetite prevailing in his thought.

"While watching to the CCTV footages, I took the time to search for that girl Katherine and her connection to Hope, as well her condition." The young officer sighed. "Only to find out that somewhere in Japan, there has been an incident where a Rumford has been confirmed dead."

"So, is she dead?"

Williams shook his head. "Not her but her mother, Katrina Rumford. I've seen her name to one of the survivor's list so I'm guessing that she's alright."

The senior puffed a sigh. "She's definitely not alright if her mother died. Above that, did you find anything interesting?"

Gavin's eyes flicker in excitement and agitation. Sean looked at him nonchalantly for he knows what his partner's eyes are saying, that he may have found something.

"A lot more than that." Gavin replied as he move his way onto the piles of random papers upon his table. When he had found the thing he's been looking for, he pulled it out and slammed the paper in front of his senior.

Jones picked up the piece of paper and read the printed words out of it, only to see a new article which is telling the same news about the fire at an apartment in Japan but it was more detailed than the one which is posted on the internet.

"That article narrates a lot of missing information which most news article says like: the exact time when the explosion occur, the total numbers of explosion, where it all has started, where the other's followed next and which apartment floor & room has the explosion set by." Williams uttered fast as incredible knowledge about the fire circulates inside his head. On the other hand, Jones stared at him more terrified on the things his partners are spitting up, as if Williams was fully boosted with unlimited energy when in the truth, he hasn't been taking a proper rest and meal for the whole week.