1. Disaster Strikes

The Huntress

                                              Sometimes a little adventure is all you need.

~Chapter One: Disaster Strikes~

“Young Master, your mother requests your presence in your father’s chambers.”

                I looked away from the pen I’ve been levitating for the past few minutes and nodded at out butler, Felipe. I placed my hands at my side and followed him out the door. I followed him through the whole mansion until he opened the door to my father’s room.

                “Thank you, Felipe,” I said before getting in. He gave me a grim smile in response. When I was in the room, I saw my mother and three other people who I recognized as doctors.

                You wouldn’t have thought everyone in this room were different because of the normality of everything. You wouldn’t have known that those doctors were actually wizards. The Veil keeps all mortals from seeing the supernatural world.

                “Hello, Chase,” my mother greeted me. “I haven’t seen you all day. What were you doing?”

                “I was just practicing my magic.” I moved to sit beside her, on the arm rest of the chair. “How’s dad doing? Is he getting better?”

                My mother’s grim expression said it all. Dad’s health was decreasing and we were doing our very best to keep him alive. The doctors were doing all this magic things to him from all kinds of beliefs.

               We would never resort to Dark Magic though because we fight against all wizards who support the Other Side.

                We couldn’t go back to the Crystal Isles, world of the Supernatural, either because Evil was ruling there. The thrones have been taken over by the rogues—the ones who made their own laws and played by their own rules. And the Great Father was on their side; in fact he was the leader.

               No one could help us there. That was why we found refuge here on Earth together with a few others. The Rhowen family has been ruling over the northern side of Colorado for the past century.

                My mom did a good job at keeping the shield up at first but I could see it was starting to take its toll on her. I manned the boundary as well but I could never do it after five hours. Dad was a legend! He could keep it up for at least a year! And even when he’s done, he still kept going!

                My mom said it was because his grandfather was the Crystal Princess’s (ruler of the Crystal Isles) right hand man: Jonathan Renswald. The Princess trusted him with everything she had, making him the second most powerful wizard of the Crystal Isles.

               And someday, I hoped to be part of that legacy and defeat the Great Father that shamelessly ruled over the Isles.

                “No, he’s not doing well. We’re going to have to resort to asking our relatives in Southern Colorado if they could lend some help.” She sighed. I didn’t see what was wrong with asking the Hawkes for help. It’s even better because dad’s sister is just as powerful as he was. “If only we knew what’s affecting him, then we might be able to treat him!"

                “I know…if only.”

                How dad got sick was a big mystery to us. He was walking in the garden when suddenly he stiffened and dropped down, heaving. The guards (wizards from the Crystal Isles who helped man the boundaries when dad was busy) came running to him and then panicked when he didn’t wake up. The tried every revival method on him by the time the brought him to my mother but it wouldn’t work.