11. A Surprise Visit

A/N: Finally! What you've all been waiting months for! The ELEVENTH chapter of Pricked is here! Thank you all for being SOOO incredibly patient with me. In honor of your long wait I have made this chapter extra-specially long. I hope you enjoy!

VOTE AND COMMENT!!!!

PS. if you haven't noticed, I am still am technology defficient so I have not uploaded the video showing what everyone looks like. Instead, I have put one picture on each chapter of someone that appears in it. Feel free to scroll back and view them :)

Love you all!     -Seji

-------------------------

Chapter 11: A Surprise Visit

My alarm clocked beeped at me from inside my head. On automatic, I got dressed in a dismally plain outfit of jeans and a t-shirt that had belonged to one of Paul’s kids. It was almost long enough to be a dress for some of those showy-offy girls. What are they called again? I think Rachel calls them skanks, but I’m not really sure what that means. Pulling my bag over my shoulder I headed down to the kitchen for breakfast.

Mary was lazily stirring her daily dose of coffee when I sauntered in. Surprisingly she was still dressed in her fluffy pink robe.

“Good morning. You’re up rather early, aren’t you?”

Confused, I pointed out to her, “Well, I need to go to school, don’t I?”

“What?” she seemed perplexed. “Katherine, it’s Saturday. Why don’t you go back to bed sweetheart, a little more rest never hurt anyone.”

“Sorry,” I murmured as I turned around to trudge up the stairs. Now what was I suppose to do? I suppose a normal person would do their homework. The only things I hadn’t done though were those paragraphs for english and the finishing touches on some paper my history teacher wanted on some time period or another.

I snapped open the laptop that Mary and Paul had given me. A “good luck at school” present, they said. But I’m rather unfamiliar with the concept of present giving and have found it’s rather tiresome waiting for them to ask something of me in return. Though I suppose the computer was partially a bribe to get me to go to school. They should have realized that I would do anything that they suggested- I already owed them much more than I would ever be able to repay. As the computer started up I leaned back in my chair and looked up at the ceiling.

It’s pristine eggshell white color was confoundingly in tacked. In fact, everything in their house seemed to have it’s place where it neatly fit into the rest of the elements that they had put in. I think my mother used to try to tidy our home. But with the electricity out half the time and father stumbling in during one of his stupors the other half, it was certainly too much of a daunting task to ever fully be completed.

The electricity- or the lack thereof- was one of the things that I never minded. In fact I rather liked the dimmed mysterious atmosphere it created. Smiling I remembered playing hide and seek with my mother. We would put down the blinds- turning the light in the room a hazy yellow. She always tried to sneak up on me even though I was hiding. It always turned into an excuse for her to tickle me though- I think those were probably the happiest moments for me. She couldn’t afford to take me out anywhere or buy anything but the bare essentials for me, so we made due with our games in the dark as we stumbled around and laughed at nothing but the fact that we were playing an amazingly childish game in a grimy house that was falling apart around us.

Downstairs, the doorbell awoke me from my stupor. I opened my door and looked down the stairs to see who it was. Usually it’s either Ms. Wallace (a neighbor of the Silvers) or “Uncle” Marc. I’m not sure why they call him uncle, considering they are almost twice his age, but I’m not really one to question their family dynamics.