5. The Encounter

Chapter 5: The Encounter

On Monday I again arrived to Chemistry early. This time though, Rhyssa was by my side; a silent warning for anyone that thought make fun at the new girl. I liked Rhyssa, she may be quiet, but that suited me just fine; I enjoyed conversation-less contemplation sometimes more than the obsessive-compulsive blatherings of people as they said whatever popped into their minds. I sat next to the window and leaned my head against the cool pane of the glass as I stared out towards the nearby tree-line.

“Hey, new girl,” a snotty voice came from the other side of Rhyssa. A blonde slut from the looks of it and a cheerleader as could be seen from her self-proclaiming uniform. How cliché... “Look,” she leaned in a little closer, “I realize we’ve been really nice to you so far.” What is she talking about- none of her ‘possy’ has said anything to me. “But Trey’s group is coming back today. Understand?” she enunciated each syllable. This girl was either insane or I just had no idea what she was talking about....probably both. She sighed with obvious frustration. “Look, you’re friends,” she looked pointedly at Rhyssa, “may not care about you, but I’m just trying to look out for you. I hate it when the new girls get their hearts broken. So let me break this thing down for you. Trey is the most hottest boy in the world,” is she going to faint?, “and one of his friends, Derek, sits there. So basically, if you don’t move your little patootie out of that seat, you will be crushed. Okay? Okay.” With that, she walked away. Who the heck says patootie anymore? She must be one of those lovesick fan girls that obsesses over people. Still having no idea what her whole shpeal was about I looked over a

Rhyssa. “What is she talking about?” I asked incredulously.

Rhyssa shook her head, “Don’t even worry about it, she’s one of those girls that is willing to do anything to get on the good side of the popular people.”

“So, I take it Trey is a popular person.”

She shrugged, “I guess you could say that.”

“What’s so special about him.”

She smirked, “Well, besides him being one of the most powerful people in town and his dad practically telling every person where to place their foot every time they walk... nothing.”

I raised an eyebrow, “That all?”

“Yup.”

I sighed, leaning back in my seat, “And here I thought there was someone important in this school.” Rhyssa chuckled back at me.

Right after the teacher walked in he started to hand out a test; the first test I had ever gotten at this school. Staring down, I started scribbling out answers with my pencil. I heard the door open with a gust of wind but ignored it and continued writing down answers. “Mr. T., how kind of you to join us. I was beginning to think that you had lost interest in my class.”

“Sorry sir, I’ll be sure to be on time tomorrow.” My stomach churned when I heard his rich undertoned voice. I looked up, only to meet his gaze and forget myself completely, losing myself in his eyes. It was as if the entire world was made out those swirling honey colored orbs. My breath caught and I couldn’t look away.

“I know you liked sitting by the window last year, but I’m sure you don’t mind giving that place to Katherine this time around. You can choose one of the other seats in the room.”

“Alright,” he replied, breaking my gaze. I looked back down at my desk, as I felt heat travel up my neck, and tried to get started on the test in front of me. This must have been the person that that cheerleader had mentioned- what was his name again? Wow, if she thought that that Trey guy looked better than him I can’t even imagine how gorgeous he would have to be. I couldn’t imagine that anyone could look better than he did. I kept glancing at him out of the corner of my eye as I finished the test with ease; he seemed to be struggling though each question. Dang, I just wanted to smooth out that wrinkle- SNAP OUT OF IT! Girl, you don’t even know this guy! Could you chill out, he probably wouldn’t even give you the time of day. But I still couldn’t help my mind from wandering as the clock tick-tocked on.