Chapter 3*

I could barely move, and even when I had to I didn't want to. Everything hurt, my legs especially. Each subtle movement sparked a sweeping pain throughout my body, first emanating from the beating I had taken. Steve had landed a few well placed blows to destroy any resolve I had to take his beating proudly for protecting Garrett. I had crumpled to the floor by the second blow, directly in the gut, when the air left my lungs and I struggled to take in a full breath. Tears stained my face through his repeated blows, alternating between kicking and forcing me to stand so he could knock me down again.

The scene played out for what felt like hours, but maybe only lasted at most an hour. He had dragged me to our bedroom when I begged him to stop. I told him I didn't want Garrett to hear, I didn't want him to worry about his parents fighting, and thankfully Steve had agreed. Thought when Steve agreed with me there was always a darker reason for it. I shuddered at the memories flashing behind my closed eye lids. I didn't want to remember, I wanted to forget an somehow move on, but that wasn't possible. In the end, Steve got what he wanted again. He always did. No matter how hard I fought, he always won.

I shook my head, trying to force those memories from my mind. I failed. I could see every disturbing detail of the attack and the ones before it. This wasn't how my life was supposed to be. This isn't what I planned, and now I was just barely surviving. Even that small flicker of desire to live was slowly diminishing, it only continued to live because of Garrett.

I sighed. Poor Garrett. What would his life become here? Did he understand what was happening? Was he old enough to understand, to run, and somehow survive? I couldn't be sure, but after Steve threatening him I couldn't hid the truth from him anymore. He had to know what happened and why. Even if I had to explain how we both got here, but could I be strong enough? Could I ruin the innocence of a young boy only to open his eyes to the horrors around him. Soon he'd be punished because Steve wouldn't get his fill just from beating me. He hadn't gotten that since the first few years of Garrett being here, and soon him taking advantage of me wouldn't satiate his anger.

This couldn't backlash onto Garrett. I had to do something. Even if it meant telling him the truth and tearing myself apart once more to explain Noah and why Garrett had been taken from his parents. I just prayed I could be strong enough to tell him the whole truth.

I willed myself out of bed, I hadn't moved since Steve finished with me last night. When he got up this morning he brought me breakfast, which I hadn't eaten, and told me to take it easy. That's how it always was with him, furious one day and acting like a caring husband the next. It made me sick, and let my hatred fester. One day I'd make him pay. I'd watch him rot and then burn in Hell if I had my say. As my feet touched the hardwood floor, a chill raced through me, quickly followed by a searing pain when I started to walk. I fought through the pain in my legs as best as I could, but my breathing quickly became erratic. I wasn't in any shape to move around, and while in pain, I didn't feel as though anything had broken. I just didn't have the strength to move through the empty house.

Garrett had remained locked in his room after Steve took him breakfast this morning. He told me if I felt up to it I could go see our son, but he told Garrett not to come downstairs. With each step, my body threatened to give out. I fell to the steps, just to rest for a moment, when I heard Garrett call down to me. He sounded as if he was in the main room playing with his toys. At least he stayed upstairs, but I guess Steve didn't really lock him up. Thank the lord. I don't think I could have made it all the way up like this.

"Garrett, sweetheart, you can come down. It's just me. Can you come downstairs? I need to talk to you."

He didn't answer, but I heard the patter of his bare feet race toward me and eventually down the stairs.

"Are you okay, Mommy?" His eyes held so much sorrow in them for his age. He had seen so much, but thankfully dealt with none of it, and if I got my way I'd keep it like that.

"I'm fine. I'm just tired." I stroked his hair gently, taking in the moment before I'd ruin it. "I just have to talk to you about your father."

"What about him?"

"Well, you saw that he gets angry, right?" He nodded, but didn't answer directly so I continued. "You have to be very careful not to upset him. I don't want you getting in trouble with him."

"Is that why you yelled?"

I nodded this time. "I told him you didn't do anything wrong, so we had a small argument." I could see guilt overwhelm him, and I felt terrible. I didn't want to tell him, but I had to. No child should have to go through with this. "Well, you know how I told you that your father and I met in high school?"

"Yes," he said bluntly. 

I took a deep breath, trying to gain control over waves of emotion crashing over me. Tears prickled in my eyes, threatening to spill over. Why did I have to be the one to tell him? Why did Steve have to take him, or any kid? It would be so much easier if Garrett had been spared from this as Noah had been.

"Well, Garrett, I have to tell you the truth-" As the words left my mouth I heard a car door slam and cursing emanate from outside. I panicked, Steve's home early and that was never a good sign. I couldn't make out what he was cursing about, but I knew he'd be furious when he came in. "I have to tell you the truth, we have a secret hiding spot I found a few years ago, and we are going to play hide and seek from your dad, okay? He came home early to play with us. Come with me."  I took his hand and then kissed him lightly on the cheek as I led the way. 

"What's the hiding spot?" he asked skeptically as the stairs creaked beneath our combined weight. 

"It's one I found and made for you," I explained as I fought through my pain and led him to the wall. 

"Where is it?" he asked as he watched me slowly pry at the edge of the wooden slant to reveal the hiding spot.

"Right here. I have a blanket in there for you and some snacks in case I can't come get you right away, and remember, we are hiding from daddy. Don't let him find you okay? I'll come get you. I promise," I said as I lifted him in the the hole, just barely big enough to fit him. I had found a large hallow part of the wall in my escape attempts. It had a beam for him to rest on, and I made it comfortable while Steve was out. We hadn't used it before because Steve had been around and I didn't want him to know where it was so it could keep Garrett safe.

"Okay, mommy!" Garrett said with a smile.

"I'll come get you really soon, until then stay quiet and be brave." I kissed him one last time before sealing the paneling back into place and covering his hiding spot. "I love you, Garrett," I whispered soft just before Steve came in. He had pushed the door with such force it slammed against the wall behind it, echoing through the house, before his cursing took over.

It didn't take long for him to notice me standing, nor did I miss the intense anger in his eyes when he saw me.

"What are you doing out of bed? I told you to take it easy!"

"What happened, honey? Did something happen at work?" I asked, ignoring his comments as I moved toward the chair in the room. 

"Well, since you asked, I got fired. So I'll be around the house for a few days. Apparently to teach you to listen to me." His voice turned dark and menacing. He glared at me, a mix of anger and lust entering his eyes before he flicked his gaze toward the stairs where Garrett should be.

"Where's our son? I don't hear him."

"I don't know, we were playing hide-and-seek before you came in. He's been told not to make a noise so I can look for him."

Fury took over his features completely. "Find him before I come back inside and have him upstairs in his room. We need to talk about you disobeying me and I need a distraction from my day." 

I shuddered as he walked out to get something from the car. We have to run, I thought as I watched Steve head toward the car from the window. He's punishing more often, and it was only a matter of time before it turned to Garrett. I had to try and save him. I had to at least try.