Chapter 2*

Four years later

Garrett ended up being everything I wanted in a child. I had spent years with him, watching him grow into a playful six year old boy, and he almost made living with Steve tolerable. I got to watch him grow up as I never got the chance with Noah. His loss still pained me even years later. I tried not to think about it or the depression would set back in. Garrett needed me, I couldn't let it consume me again as I had before he arrived all those years ago. I had moments of it returning, but I did what I could for Garrett. I didn't want him to worry anymore than he did. It was my job to protect him, and I needed a clear head for that.

As Garrett grew up, I started lying about my life -- our life. I did it to protect him...or so I told myself. In the end, I was only protecting myself, but when he asked me at the tender age of six how I met his "father" I couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth. I shook the flashbacks of the day Steve kidnapped me and the years of horror I had lived through since when I heard Garrett call for me.

"Mommy, mommy!"

"Yes, Garrett?" I loved Garrett, and Steve knew it. He used Garrett as leverage on me and I obeyed without hesitation. I couldn't be responsible for his death as I had been for Noah's. I did everything I could for Garrett, and I would continue to until my dying breath. No matter what it took to protect him.

With Garrett, Steve let me outside under his supervision with Garrett close to his side; to make sure I didn't try to escape again. It was the small freedoms that I knew would save Garrett and I one day. If I could keep Garrett under control then we had a real chance to escape, and move forward with our real lives.

"You never answered how you and daddy met."

I sighed and prayed he never found out the truth. It would tear him apart, but at least by lying he could grow up with some resemblance of a childhood.

"Well, you see, sweetheart," I said, noticing Steve watching me. He wanted to know what I would say just as much as Garrett did. He wanted to make sure I kept my mouth shut even when it came to Garrett. "Your father and I," I paused, this would be the last chance to turn back. Tell the truth or lie. "We were high school sweethearts. We met our first year and just knew right away that we'd be together forever." Literally until death took one of us away, most likely me. "Then a few years later, we got you." Not a lie, just not the whole truth either.

"Where did I come from?" Garrett's eyes sparkled with intense curiosity.

"New Jersey," Steve replied coolly from the kitchen table.

I shot him a glare, but he didn't seem to react. I turned back to Garrett, the curiosity had been replaced with confusion thanks to Steve's comment. I couldn't think of anything to say except, "Your father found out about you while he was in New Jersey." After he stole you from your real parents and brought you here to live with us in permanent hell, I added silently to myself. "You were a surprise to me especially."

"A good surprise?"

I hesitated. I knew the real reason Steve had brought Garrett back with him was because of me. He did it because I had been devastated over losing Noah, because of him. Anger boiled inside of me at the thought. He killed our child and feared I'd do something drastic if he didn't do something quickly. Garrett was just a pawn in Steve's game to keep me in line. Otherwise I'd either run again or try to kill myself to escape. Anything was better than live here with him. But Garrett wouldn't understand that, not yet anyway, and I couldn't explain even if I tried. 

"Yes, you were a very good surprise. I'm happy to have you here with me."

Garrett smiled and hugged me around my legs. The familiar feeling of love and appreciation for him swelled in my chest. He loved us as if we were his parents, not that he knew any better. Steve had taken him away at such a young age that he had no hope of remember his parents as he grew up. Soon it would be too hard for him to return to his real family unless I found a way to get us out. He'd be too attached to me, it would hurt him to have me leave alone. I also couldn't bring myself to leave him, he couldn't grow up here. He'd live like an animal in captivity, except beaten and tormented for enjoyment of his captor.