Chapter 3

Knee nervously bouncing up and down, she clutched the hand of the quietly crying woman seated next to her. Although they hadn't confirmed it yet, she already knew this would be the worst day of her life. The worst day of both their lives. She wanted to sprint out of there, but this was important. No matter how difficult it would be, it had to be done and she had volunteered to go through with it.

When called forward she prayed for the strength to get through this, to persevere. Prayed for the entire family because they would require all the strength in the world to face this. She tried concentrating on her breathing as she followed the man, her heart picking up further speed when they arrived at a set of swinging double doors. The future depended on what awaited her on the other side of those doors.

Upon entering the large, chilly room anxious eyes landed on the metal slab, a small body completely covered with a crisp, white sheet. Another man waited next to the slab. He would mostly likely be the person to pull down the sheet. How depressing it must be to do that on a daily basis while family members and friends either say yes or no when identifying the body under that sheet.

Asked if she was ready she wanted to shake her head. No she wasn't ready. How could she ever be ready for this moment? She felt trapped in a nightmare yet was wide awake. A hesitant nod, she held her breath as the official sheet puller performed his job. The air escaped her lungs upon spotting the face she knew so well, the person she loved so much. Long dark hair framed an unusually pale face, full, red lips barely parted, eyes shut though she recalled them being the bluest of blue. A lump formed in her throat as she reached out to touch a stiffened and cool cheek.

"Ma'am?"

She audibly swallowed. "It's her." She had kept it together for the most part since her beloved went missing eight days ago. Though she had been an emotional wreck she managed not to shed too many tears as she considered herself the strong one. She had to be strong, had to keep everyone's spirits up. Gazing at that face it occurred to her she would never hear her laughter, never see her smile...all the joy had been stripped because that monster took and terrorized her.

Tears beginning to fall, she leaned over, wrapping her arms around her, face buried in the crook of her neck. "It's her," she miserably repeated, shoulders shaking with the force of the sobbing. "Oh God, it's her."

Awakening I'm quick to notice my pillow is damp. Not because I've been drooling (which I haven't) but due to a profuse amount of sweat. Since I rarely sweat while sleeping it must have been one hell of a dream, but I can't remember it. I do feel uneasy when I look toward the left and notice Kelly is missing. Thinking she might be in the master bathroom, I look toward the door, but it's wide open and the light is off.

Covers thrown off, I rise and put on pajama bottoms and a T-shirt and go wash my face and neck before leaving our bedroom. Heading along the hall, I abruptly stop at the door that isn't to be opened. Right hand rising, my palm presses to it with fingers splayed. I don't recall the last time the doorknob has been returned, the last time this room has been entered. I don't wish to examine it, but I do want it there. It's important to keep it as is. Why? I honestly couldn't say. I just do my best to ignore it, to treat it like it doesn't truly exist. Don't look, don't touch, yet keep.

A sigh expelled I continue down the hall, bright light drawing me into the living room where I find Kelly curled up on the couch, a glass of red wine in her hand. Though she's looking toward the television it isn't on. I'm concerned because her eyes are puffy and red as if she's been crying. Calling out to her she looks up at me, lessening my fears a fraction when she smiles.

"Hi, love. Did I disturb you?"

"How would you have gone about that?" I point toward the black screen. "You think the volume on channel zero is too high?"