Chapter 12-- Tortured Souls

Quick Author's note!

Dedicated to Britt, because, well, She's awesome and inspiring! I love your work ma'am!

My first contest here!

Let's try a contest:

Get Witch Way up to 1300 total reads, and 50 total votes, then I'll upload the next chapter! Off to work lads and lasses!

Chapter 12

She stumbled in the darkness, catching her foot on an upturned root. She tried to avoid the towering trees, landing instead on the floor of the forest. The moss covering the ground was soft, but it was filled with prickling thorns from the vines that seemed to have taken over the place.

She could tell it had once been a beautiful place, even with the darkness obscuring her vision. The vision of what the forest had once been filled her mind. The trees would have been full of life and free of vines. The moss on the floor had once been entirely soft, perhaps even patchy in spots, exposing the loamy soil of the forest floor. Exotic flowers had been in bloom here at some point, before the evil leeched all of the good out of it.

She shook her head and wondered where the thought about evil came from. It wasn't long before she recieved her answer in the form of a creepy disembodied voice.

"It's because you recognize my presence here, daughter." The voice, which she identified quickly as that of Lawrence, quashed any hopes she had that the dream was just that. A Dream.

"Why are you doing this to me? I'm your daughter for the sake of the Goddess." Her voice shook with the fear and adrenaline that came from remembering the earlier confrontation with the man.

"And because you are my daughter, everything you are, and have, belongs to me." The voice paused speaking to let out a maniacal chuckle. "Unfortunately for you, of course, all I want from you is the power you were born with."

"Why? Why do you need it. You seem plenty powerful to me!" She exclaimed in indignation.

"Because eventually that little coven in town will come for me. My little birdie in their midst has made me aware of that. And when they come, I need an edge. You'll give me that." As he explained his reasoning, his tone suggested that it made sense and was completely reasonable.

"You'd kill your own daughter for something as trivial as power?" Her voice was a whisper for fear that if she angered him, he may actually show himself and commence to fight her.

"Yes. I would. See you were conceived for that reason, and that reason only. So that you could be trained, and when you came into your full powers, sacrificed for my gain. It should be looked upon as an honor." The voice grew louder and seemed to be beginning to emanate from one point in front of her, instead of all around as it was at first.

She didn't understand that this meant he was gaining strength, so when he implied that her death for his personal gain was an honor, she finally lashed out, putting magick and force behind her words.

"There is nothing you can say to me to make me think it would be an honor." She practically spat the word, her voice growing louder with each utterance. "You are pure evil, Dear Daddy, and I will never do any of this willingly. And what's more, you will leave Soren alone!"

She was too angry to notice that as soon as she sneered at the term 'Dear Daddy' a pool of shadows began to take a vaguely humanoid form just ahead and to her left. But as a voice came from what she then assumed was the head of the figure, she shrank back only to find herself cowering against a tree.