Chapter 16-- Magic at Work

Chapter 16

Amethyst sat alone in her small apartment above the store worrying about what was to come. Shayla and Soren were both unconcious in a room downstairs, Dillan was asleep in a chair next to Shayla. He had refused to leave her side from the moment she passed out.

Amethyst let out a loud sigh and retrieved her address book from it's home on her roll-top desk. The whisper of paper echoed through the room as she thumbed through the pages, looking for a particular number. "McCloud, McCloud. Where is it?"

Once the number was found and dialed she listened to the electronic ringing in frustrated silence. "Hello? Amber?" She paused while the woman on the other end confirmed that she was indeed Amber McCloud.

"Are you busy right now? No? Well could you head to my store? We have a small situation and we'll need you here, one way or another." Another pause, this one shorter.

"I'm not sure if I'll need your binding skills, or your divination skills. Perhaps even your ability to speak through the veil." Amethyst squeezed her eyes shut in a silent prayer to the goddess as the other woman agreed to make the trip.

"Thank you, Amber. I'll see you tomorrow." The click of the phone settling back into it's cradle seemed ominous to her. She hoped beyond hoping that she wouldn't need Amber's binding skills.

Shaking herself to stave off the terrible imaginings that made their way into her head she retreated across the hall into her private ritual space. Settling herself at a short table she retrieved a small, intricately carved wooden box from below the small table in the center of the room. Inside the velvet lined case were many crystals of varying shapes, sizes and colors. In another container, this one long and thin were several chains, mostly silver in different sizes, and tools to attach the stones to the chains.

)O(

"Amethyst? You up here?" Dillan called just loud enough to be heard.

"In here, Dillan." Her voice was soft but carried into the hallway and beckoned him towards a door to his left.

The door opened on silent hinges and Dillan found her kneeling on a soft pillow in front of her altar. She was stringing stones on a bracelet length chain.

"Amber to purify the spirit, Amethyst for stability and strength." She whispered as several of each stone settled into place. In the exact center a small square of wood hung, etched with the rune Laguz, for cleansing, on one side and the rune Mannaz, for humanity or the soul. Together with the stones they wove a powerful soul and aura cleansing spell.

"What is that for?" Curiousity colored his tone.

"For Shayla. The necklaces with aquamarine are for us and Soren. They are for protection and courage." She explained while holding out one of the necklaces for him and placing another around her neck.

"Do you really think she'll be like Lawrence when she wakes up?"

"There's a strong chance. And if she does, he won't even need to kill her and take her power. She'll be a weapon, able to be aimed and fired at his will." Both of their faces were grim with that thought before she shook herself and took his hand.

"What are you doing?" He asked as she placed their hands over the crystals on Shayla's bracelet.

"The crystals need to be powered. I could do it alone, but it'll leave me drained for a while, and we can't afford that. If we both do it, we'll be fine." She explained in a voice of quiet concentration.

"I've actually never powered a crystal. What do I do?" He asked timidly when she began to glow with her power. Her power called to his and he needed no answer. She pushed a tendril of her power into the crystal backed with the intent to charge the stone. A tendril of his own power followed eagerly and his skin began to glow.