Chapter 3 ~Runner~

"Wicked is good."

Water. Drowning.

"This is wrong, Thomas. Wicked is not good."

Scientists surrounding me with syringes.

"(Y/N)."

I open my eyes, calmer than I was when I woke up yesterday. It's the same nightmare.. I mentally thought. I slowly sit upright, looking around to see if anyone else is already awake. No one. All the boys around me are still sleeping, snoring, on their own hammocks.

That's right, I'm sleeping around boys. Newt and Alby insisted that I should have a room for myself but I rejected. Not because I want to be surrounded by boys, I just feel like I'm so different if I have a room for myself. It's like they see me as a foreign creature. Well.. I am girl. I thought. I mentally scold myself for being such a sexist.

I stand up, groaning because of the pain on my back. I try to recall why I'm in pain right now. That's right. I wrestled with Gally. The battle from last night made me smile to myself. I couldn't really believe that I was that strong. I didn't win but neither did Gally. For what felt like an hour, neither of us even stepped out of the circle.

As much as I want to lay back down, I know I couldn't. I have to run today and prove to those shanks that I can be a runner. First things first, I have to eat breakfast then limber up.

I run to the kitchen, but I quickly regret it. The first five steps made my legs ache. I groan in frustration. How am I suppose to run properly in the maze?! I decide to just jog there.

Frypan still isn't in the kitchen. I grab two pieces of bread before jogging to the doors. Minho told me last night that they wake up very early to run intp the maze, but I didn't see anyone standing by the doors, waiting for it to open.

I sit down on the grass, exactly where I sat last night. I stare at the slight gap between the door, hoping that it would become wider for me to see the maze. I bite down on the bread, savoring it. Damn, Frypan can really bake the best bread.

"You're early, greenie." someone says from behind me. I don't even need to look back to see that it is Minho.

"I'm not early, you're just late, Minho." I stand up and face, one hand on my hip.

"Morning, greenie." Ben greets with a wide smile. I give him the smallest smile I could pull off.

"Mornin', Ben. Sorry about-you know-kicking your shin yesterday."

"That's okay."

The familiar sound of the opening doors made me turn around. Before I could take a step back, someone holds me by the shoulder.

"Take it slow, greenie. You need to get your pack." Minho says in a reminding tone. From the corner of my eye, I see Newt walking up to us.

"Here's your pack, greenie. The paper and pen is already in here. " Newt hands me a bag with straps attached to it. I accept it and start to wear it, even though I don't really know how to. I stuggle to enter my hand throught the straps. Newt laughs and I glare at him.

"Here, let me." he offers but I raise my hand at him. I focus on the pack but he still tries to help me. I move back, away from his reach.

"I got it, Newt." I insist, sounding slightly annoyed. He moves closer to me, attempting to take hold of the straps tangled around my arm.

"Newt, I'm fine--"

"Let me help, (Y/N)." he tries to help me again but I wriggle around, trying to get his hands off of the straps.