Part 5 - Here and Now

At 0700 hours we edged closer to the golden coast of Guadalcanal. I was soon used to the salty sea air along with the humidity and heat but not yet used to the bland, dry saltines that was our new strict marine diet. I also dare not look over the rails at the front of the boat to sea what land lay ahead, I preferred to note down that way the waves crashed against the rocks around us, the different shapes of clouds each day and the way the gently sea breeze brushed my short curls back without the assistance of my hands.

By now I have learnt not to become too accustomed to a new way of life I encounter but it was difficult not to be comforted by the company of my friends and of the warm bed I used at night. I had a strange feeling about what was happening. The boys said it was seasickness but I knew they were wrong, even our new battalion leader Lt. Rudd was acting profoundly, he claimed it was a nervous tick that he had had since a baby but once again, I knew he was wrong.

Hoob constantly seeked reassurance from all of 2nd Battalion, but me and Rusty especially were at the other end of Hoob's questioning. "Rusty, how long do you think we'll be in Guadalcanal for? How many Japs do you think will be there cos it's only on the edge of their territory? Huh?" Hoobler huffed.

"I'd say two months, 2,000 men and yes, I'm listening Hoob. Do those answer your questions?" Rusty replied, not bowing to the frustration that consumed us both.

"Look Hoob, calm down. If we keep calm and focus just like Lt. Barker told us then we will all be okay, right?"

"But what if we ain't alright, Coop? Huh? What if only you comes outta Guadalcanal? Huh? Whatcha gonna do then?" Hoob had crossed a line now that meant everyone was silent and eager for my response.

"Well Hoob, I'd be in pretty deep shit without you telling me what to do every second now wouldn't I, Hoob?" And with that I left to crash out on my bunker. I didn't honestly know what I would do if I was all alone on Guadalcanal, the thought gave me the shivers so to calm my nerves I began writing down my other notes. I had thought back in my second week at boot camp, my memories of the days before we left for war would fade as my days during the war would take over. I also believed that there would be controversy over the war in Japan unlike the war in Europe and as a writer I should tell people from a first-person perspective what really happened in the war.

"Hey, buddy you okay? I heard about your scrap with Hoob, he seems to have calmed down just right but I was wonderin'.."

"Yeah I'm fine Rusty, just a stupid fight for a stupid reason. I can't wait to get off this god-damn boat!" It was nice to see that Rusty was worried but the lie of getting off the boat made me feel instantly guilty.

"I know what you mean, it'll be right nice to see land again! Okay, I'll go get some coffee, y'want some?"

"Nah, I just had some, and we gonna be up on the shore soon by my guesses, so better not." Another lie.

"Suit yourself." With that Rusty left, it was a goo thing too because I don't think I could bear to lie to him anymore. I did believe that we would be up shore soon but I didn't want a coffee for that reason, I have learnt that if I am to be on speaking terms again with any man I fall out with then it is best to let them breathe, as that is what we lack most. I merely turne over, put my head on my pillow, the I was out.

***

"ATTENTION. Up and out boys we gotta be out of this ship and in the transports in 10 minutes."

Shit. This is what we were waiting for, I just had to keep calm.

"If we all go in seperate transports theres a higher chance of more of us surviving, you got it?" Rusty claimed, deadly serious.

"Yeah, Rusty, we got this." Chuckles shot with hint of anger, perhaps he hadn't thought about us not staying alive.

By the time we got changed we were lined up like cattle and selected for different transporters, it was probably 40 men to a transporter and 30 transporters on the ship, how many would feel the sand on the shore?

"READY?" Lt. Rudd bellowed behind me.

"5.."

"4.."

"3.."

"2.."

"1.."

***

Thanks for reading, make sure to comment and vote!:)