Part 3 - Transformed

After a solid two months in camp on Parris Island the men had started to bond, in the space of two months a man's rank no longer seemed to determine his character while the days blurred into one. The 10 mile jog each day was becoming less painful as well as my taste buds seemed to numb more each day to the bland mess hall palate. Me, Rusty, Hoob and Chuckles - another boy from 2nd Battalion - stuck together through the rain, tears and training to all then feel fully prepared to be US Marine 2nd Battalion Privates. We had but a few days before Colonel Stobart would visit us for our check up, make sure we were armed an ready, but this also meant that Lieutenant Barker ha to be especially difficult with us.

"This is it, isn't it Coop" Chuckles hushed with a hint of excitement

"It sure is, Chuckles, it sure is"

"Ain't you excite Coop? Imma ready to kill some Japs, y'know make a difference back ho-"

"And score some babes" Rusty cut Chuckles off an sent a roaring laughter into the hallway we were slowly walking down. Photo after photo of men who were heroes an casualties in World War I brushing past us, only giving us a glimpse of our past an what could be our future. Our lives had were only a distant past to us now, our personalities had changed just as much as our usual regime had. I believe that if my mother wouldn't of recognised me if I went home that very day.

"ATTENTION. FRONT AND CENTRE FOR A FULL INSPECTION." Inspection was Lieutenant Barker's way of keeping a keen eye on how the men were. It meant a check of uniform, rifle and manners.

"RIFLE HASNT BEEN CLEANED. WEEKEND PASS REVOKED." Rusty got the first shot.

"WHERE IS YOUR CHEVRON?" Hoob was second to fall.

"Not sown on yet, sir!"

"NOT GOOD ENOUGH, PRIVATE. WEEKEND PASS REVOKED. I WOULDN'T TAKE ANY OF YOU BOYS TO WAR SO HOW DO YOU EXPECT COLONEL STOBART TO?"

Silence.

"DISMISSED." With that simple word we all were allowed to breathe, we were more in fear of the voice than the man when it came to Lt. Barker, we knew too well that he was scared of us being killed by just the look in his eyes on days like this.

With the Colonel expected at any time during our last day we were treated to Coca-Colas and a film, back then the film was in black and white more often than not it was a romance. Which, to a bunch of men, was less than adequate. chuckles had a soft spot for the films in the camp as did Rusty, they both said it reminded them of home which would make us all wince.

"You gotta girl back home, Coop" Rusty said, trying to get me to talk.

"Nah, well she ain't mine but.."

"I gotta girl, real pretty too and sweet and smart. We were gonna get married before I enlisted but there wasn't enough time. She sent me dozens of letters though trying to butter me up so I would go back home. Whadda 'bout you, Hoob?"

"Now with a face like that how is any girl gonna look at Hoob without thinking 'JEEZ'" Chuckles mocked before Hoob even spoke.

"Well, not that its your business I do have a girl, and thats the last you gonna here of her!" Hoob huffed at Chuckles to show him that he was upset.

"Naw come on Hoob, I just messin' with ya!"

Nothing. Chuckles and Hoob were the ones to fall out the most in our tight group, I think it was because of Chuckles being a late-comer but to fall out was a rare occurance in the whole Battalion, it was always something associated with silly girls messing in the school yard and all quarrels were kept under a close eye by Lt. Barker.

Despite the food, training, lieutenants and corporals. I was going to miss bootcamp. I just didn't realise how much yet.