Dragon Rider

“So, we’ll continue north then. Pick up some freedom fighters on the way, try to build up a small army and attack the Hearts Castle when we get there,” Kyle said pointing to a map he had set on the ground on top of the stuff he had gathered from Balthazar’s house that could be of use to us.

“Sounds like a plan,” I stood up and looked at the robin-egg blue sky. Every day, Wonderland seemed to be recovering. I hoped that our side would win so it wouldn’t have to go back to the ruins that it was.

“Let’s get this show on th’ road,” Kyle slung the pack he made over his back, grabbed up his map and a walking stick and headed north, towards the mountains.

I followed, hoping our plan would be successful.

In half an hour, we had covered more distance than I had expected. We were at the foot of the mountains already, staring up at the top which seemed to jut miles up into the sky, never ending.

We headed up the steep slope which looked as if it had been seldom used.

“Are you sure this is safe?” I asked, looking up at the treacherous path ahead of us.

“Vivian, nothing is safe in Wonderland. Why? Because we’re all mad here,” Kyle pressed forward, picking up a thick stick as a walking stick as he went.

On that happy note, I trudged on.

We arrived at the slope of the mountain three hours later. It overlooked all of the area. We could even see Balthazar’s ruined house from here. Trees dotted the landscape almost as far as the eye could see, and off in the very far distance, I could see the Hearts Castle grounds. There was splotched of red swarming the grounds, which I assumed were the guards. They must have been put on very close watch duty because of all the recent escapes.

“That’s where we are heading,” Kyle pointed at the castle with his walking stick. “Home sweet home,” He grimaced.

We were halfway down the slope when the sun began to set, staining the blue sky a brilliant red orange with streaks of pink here and there and violet fingers stretching out at the very tip of the sky, drawing in the night.

“We’ll set up camp here for the night.” Kyle said, taking off his satchel and pulling out supplies. I grabbed up his walking stick and shoved it into the ground, and then placed a long wool blanket over top, making a small tent. I picked up another stick about the same length as Kyle’s and placed it a little further to the left, to make the space a bit wider. Kyle set another blanket on the ground beneath the shelter and I began to gather kindling and small stones to build a fire.

Once I had a fire going, I began to add some more wood onto the flame and Kyle set out to hunt.

When the sun had finally set, Kyle came back with a beheaded pig.

“Dinner,” He said, licking his lips. I looked at the bloody thing, but smiled back. It was different from what I was used to, but at least it wasn’t dead people.

Kyle gutted the pig and made a makeshift spit to cook it on. In little than no time, a delicious smell was filling our campsite.

“That smells excellent,” I said, using a small, thin bone I found and some thread to patch up one of my boots that had a hole in the top of it. “Do you camp often?”

“No. I just have trained so I know what to do.” Kyle stared absently at the pig.

After the pig was finished cooking, Kyle and I had some, and then packed it into some waterproof skins Kyle salvaged and we stuck them in his satchel. the fire was beginning to die a little, and the sky was a very dark navy blue. There was a crescent moon, which shone lightly over our camp. As I continued to pack up the meat, I noticed that the moon was getting closer.

“What th’-” Kyle looked up as the moon drew nearer and nearer. All of a sudden, the moon became the teeth of none other than the Cheshire Cat.

“Helloooooo children,” He grinned, hovering above Kyle’s shoulder and twirling his whisker around his claw.

“Whats…. New?” Kyle grumbled as he threw his satchel into the tent.

“Balthazar is obviously no threat to us any longer.” The Cat rolled over and twitched his ear.

“Us?” Kyle asked.

“Quite. I am on your side, little prince.” Ches smiled and floated over into my lap. I absently petted him as Kyle scowled.

“Don’t call me that, filthy feline,” He grumbled.

“Kyle, don’t be rude,” I chastised, scratching Ches’ belly. His paw twitched frantically and he closed his eyes.

“Aaaah. Master Balthazar never did that. Mmmmmmm… Thank you, new master. Master Vivian.” Ches blinked twice and curled into a little ball. I chuckled, and looked out at the sky.

“Go get some sleep,” Kyle told me. “I’ll take first watch.”

“Thank you,” I got up and lay down on the soft blanket on the floor of the tent. Ches curled up beside me and immediately started to purr.

“Good night, Kyle,” I said, watching as Kyle walked over to a tree stump and sat down.

“Good night, Vivian.” He said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wake up!!” I bolted upright, squinting in the darkness and startling Ches. I heard some scuttling coming from outside and suddenly Kyle popped his face up right in front of me.

“There’s something out there,” He whispered. Groaning, I crawled out of the tent and looked around. The fire had now fully died down an all that was left was a pile of smoking wood.

“I don’t see anything,” I said. I turned around when something caught the corner of my eye. It was long and white, with speckles of blue. A tail.

“Who’s there?” I whipped around. The tail disappeared behind a rock. Grabbing one of the sticks we used to make a spit, I ran behind the rock. Sitting in front of me was a beautiful white dragon about five metres long and seven metres high. As I approached, he began to tremble.

“Sh,” I whispered. “I’m not going to hurt you.” I reached out, but the dragon whipped its tail and smacked me, sending me flying. I skidded across the grass, grazing my arm and my knees. I shakily got up and stumbled back over to the rock he was hiding behind. When I got there, I noticed that he was gone.

Suddenly, I felt a cooling sensation on my arm. I looked over to it to see none other than the dragon, who was sincerely licking it.

“Thank you,” I said, reaching up and petting him. He looked at me, a shimmer of hope glinting in his pale blue eyes.

I got up and pointed to where Kyle was at our camp.

“Come with us,” I said, looking at the dragon. I walked forward and he followed. I got to camp and showed him to Kyle.

“I think he’s peaceful.” I said.

The dragon sat like a dog but he looked at me intelligently.

“You are my Rider,” he said softly. “When I was just a hatchling they said my rider would be the One with violet eyes. It’s you,”

Dragon rider? I stared at him confused, but then the line of the Prophecy ran through my head.

“AND SHE’LL FIGHT ALONGSIDE HER BEST FRIEND

AND THE LAST PURE WHITE DRAKE”

This dragon was pure white. Was he the last white Drake of his kind.

As if reading my mind, which I considered perfectly normal now, the dragon responded “Yes, I am the last of my kind.”

“Then I guess I am your rider,” I said.

“I, Nathaniel, am at your service.” Nathaniel bowed respectively. I smiled, knowing our army had just grown stronger.