Star Trek Voyager: Consequences 21. Epiphany

The San Francisco City Courthouse was an impressive building; a survivor of the famous 1906 earthquake in fact, a solid building of sombre grey stone with Classical style columns running along its frontage and a sweeping flight of stairs leading to a grand oak panelled door. It was a fragment of history among the ever-changing environment of the modern, space-faring, 24th Century city. Seven would have normally found this sense of continuity comforting. She should have drawn strength from the fact that justice had been upheld here for hundreds of years and that she was just another passing though it; yet now, as she stood at the bottom of those towering stairs, she felt weak, insignificant, even irrelevant. What was she doing here?

“Are you alright?” Chakotay’s soft whisper beside her brought a shaft of light into her dark thoughts and she tried her best to smile bravely. She knew he’d see through it, as he could all her defences, but that knowledge didn’t stop her from trying, composure and dignity were even more important to her now that ever before.

“Yes, I’m fine.” She replied quietly before glancing back at the building, “It’s…imposing, that’s all.” His face tensed in understanding as he nodded in agreement and silently offered her his hand. She sighed heavily before gratefully slipping her slightly shaky hand into his and grasping it tightly. “Let’s go.” She said firmly before slowly leading the way up the steps.

The reverberation of their footsteps on the marble floor of the courthouse’s cavernous lobby created a booming echo which grated on Seven’s frayed nerves  almost as much as the curious, and often hostile, looks she received from the people also travelling through. She dreaded to think of how many of these people could be lawyers, potential jury members, or even judges. “Is that his office?” Chakotay asked as they reached a large door just at the start of the first corridor with the words “John Sharpe, Head District Attorney” embossed on a small plaque beside it.

“Yes.” Seven confirmed as she politely rang the bell, swallowing nervously as she heard approaching footsteps behind the door. “He seems to be a capable man.”

“I hope so.” Chakotay muttered in frustration, then gave her a small, reassuring smile when he saw the pained expression on her face, “Don’t worry, you’re a good judge of character.”

Seven had just started to nod in reply when Sharpe opened the door, smiling gently at her in welcome. He was a small man, at least three inches shorter than Seven, with a rotund figure, but Chakotay could see a steel in the man’s pale green eyes that somehow assured him that Seven’s case was in good hands. “Welcome Seven, please come in.” Sharpe greeted her in a surprisingly powerful bass voice. Concern flashed across his face when Chakotay followed Seven into the cluttered office. “Perhaps you’d be more comfortable discussing this in private Seven…” He began carefully but stopped as Seven shook her head vigorously, her hand resting soothingly on Chakotay’s arm, who had bristled defensively in spite of himself.

“I’d rather not. Chakotay has consented to be my “moral support” during this...difficult period.” Seven informed him calmly.

“Ah…” Sharpe mused, now taking Chakotay’s hand warmly; obviously Seven had told him of his role in her life. “Well, in these sorts of situations it’s certainly a case of the more support the better.” He commented, “Pleased to meet you Commander.”

“I’m retired now. It’s just Chakotay, thanks.” Chakotay corrected him with a smile as he sat down beside Seven on one side of Sharpe’s desk as the lawyer sat down at the other.

“Yes, this case has certainly tainted my view of the Academy and Starfleet itself.” Sharpe muttered darkly as he arranged PADDs in front of him. “Now, I requested this meeting so that I could prepare you for the trial, to brief you on my case, and what I believe the defence’s may be.”