{~Smile~} Kuroko x Reader

UPDATE!!! NEW CHAPTER!!'
NEXT UP: KISE RYOUTAXD

__________________________

{~Smile~}

{~Could you please keep on smiling for me?~}

'Over here! Dunk it!'
I was with my friends, we enjoyed playing basketball together. I always loved the thrill of playing it. The ball that swiftly moved through our hands and between people that trust each other. It was bliss.

{~In my childhood, I saw a countless number of dreams like stars in the sky~}

I always wanted to form a team with my good friends and play together in the Nationals. Even though I was only 9 and everything was still far, I never stopped believing I could make it.

{~I imagined that I could get anything if I wished for it~}

'My dream?'
My teacher smiled,'Yes [Name]-chan. Your dream?' I blushed,'I always wanted to be a basketballer...' The class laughed. My teacher laughed too. I sat back down, lowering my head.

'It's true...'

My teacher smiled,'It's okay [Name]. You'll be one soon. You just have to work hard.'

I smiled,'Hm!'

{~However, everything I wanted lay in high places~}

Then, reality struck me. To be a basketballer in the Nationals, you had to have skill, height, talent and power. I had none except for my love of basketball. I was 12 by then. The painful truth was too much.

{~Even if I stretched out, I couldn't reach them, so I stopped looking up~}

I would never be a basketballer like this. Even if I loved the game, without talent or skill, I was worthless in the game.

I gave up on my dream.

Soon, my family moved to Tokyo because my father found a job there.

I said goodbye to my hometown, Kyoto. I said goodbye to my friends. I said goodbye to my life there. Most of all...

I said goodbye to basketball.

I never wanted to touch a basketball again.

Then, I joined Teiko Middle School. It was famous for basketball, and it always emphasised on winning. Pain wracked my heart. Being in a school where a sport I could never be in was hell.

But then...

He showed me how to live again.

{~But then, I met you on that day~}

*bam, bam, bam*

I heard the sounds of a basketball hitting the ground. I was immediately drawn to that melodious tune.

*bam, squeak, bam, squeak*

The combination of shoes against the ground and the ball hitting the ground reminded me of my love for the sport once again. I leaned against the door of the sports hall, listening quietly to the melody it made.

'You could come in if you want.'

I was shocked.

'I said, you could come in if you want.'

I slowly made my way inside. What met me was...

Nothing?

The voice spoke up,'I'm right here.' I swung around,'Huh?!' He was slightly taller than me, but under all he didn't look like a basketballer at all. He looked at me,'You like basketball?' I nodded,'Well... I do...' He began to dribble the ball,'Then why don't you join the girls' team?' I frowned.

'Because I'm useless.'

He looked up,'No one's useless. Everyone is special.' I was confused,'What do you?'

'Fight me 1 on 1. Score 2 goals and you win.'

I dropped my bag,'I won't.' He grabbed my hand and placed the ball on it,'People who love the sport, can't deny the game. You know you want play.'

'Fine. But if I lose, I'm never playing again.'

The match began. He dribbled the ball, but I intercepted. Making my way, I shot a 3-pointer. He was panting already. The game restarted and he managed to shoot. The ball missed completely and ended in my arms. I jumped and dunked it.

He wiped his sweat. I was utterly dumbfounded.

He's so frail, his stamina was so weak and not to mention his shots were completely off.

I was surprised how a guy like him could play basketball.

Then, he spoke,'I know what you're thinking. But I won't be down. Because I love basketball and I'm showing you that no one needs skills to win. You just need your heart.'

'I...'

He gave a soft smile,'Love basketball again. It's better.'

{~You gave me a smile, and taught me the reason why I was born~}

Kuroko reignited the fiery passion I had for basketball once again.

He taught me that I was the one who decides my fate. I was grateful for his help. Through that, I met Aomine and Momoi. They were extremely into basketball too. I began to enjoy my life in Teiko. With them, I felt like I was in Kyoto playing in with my own friends.

But another scary thing happened.

Aomine broke away from Kuroko.

It saddened both me and Momoi. We loved to watch both Kuroko and Aomine play, we loved the time we spent together. It hurt my heart that Kuroko was no longer in Aomine's sight.

Aomine was no longer the Aomine we knew anymore.

Middle school ended, and we headed off to different high schools. The Generation of Miracles separated and went their own ways.

Kuroko disappeared without a trace.

Momoi and I were desperate. But seeing as Aomine headed to Tohōu, Momoi told me she would also head there to keep an eye on him.

'[Name]-chan, I'm sorry. I can't search for Tetsu-kun if Dai-chan can't keep his head cool.' I shook my head,'Don't worry Momoi-chan. I'll look for him. I'll take care of him in your place.' She sighed,'Thanks a lot. Sorry we have to separate now.'

'It's no matter. I owe you guys for reigniting my love for basketball.'

She smiled,'Tetsu-kun prefers you anyway. He talks more often with you.' I shook my head,'I'll find Tetsuya. I'll support you.' She hugged me tightly, about to cry,'Good luck and thank you, [Name]-chan. We'll meet again.'

'Goodbye Momoi-chan.'
'Goodbye [Name]-chan.'

{~Just believing you're in this world, gives me the strength to live on~}

I continued to look for Kuroko's school. But seeming as the deadline for application came close, I decided to look for a high school for myself first.

Little that I know I picked the school Kuroko was in...

'Seirin High... This will do. Anyway it isn't that far from my house.'

'Ah?'

'[Name]...?'

'Tetsuya... Tetsuya, is that you?'

He was utterly stunned. I ran towards him, enveloping him into a hug.

'Tetsuya, why didn't you tell Momoi-chan and I that you were in this school? We were worried sick! How could you just disappear like nobody's business? I was so worried!'

'[Name]...'

I pulled away,'Tetsuya.' I began. He looked away,'What is it?' I frowned,'Of all schools, you had to pick Seirin... Why?'

His answer ignited my love for basketball even further.

'Because I'm tired of winning. I want to try hard for something I can never find in Teiko.'

I shifted my gaze to him,'Teamwork isn't it? Team spirit. The love for the game that we respect... Isn't it?' He snapped his head to me,'How did you?' I smiled,'I had my hopes crushed by basketball once. I know how painful it is. Even if you keep winning or losing, without the team spirit, there's no joy in victory nor defeat. Even if I have to lose, I wouldn't find it a matter.'

'[Name]...'

'You reignited my love for the sport. Now it's my turn to reignite yours. If you're going to be the shadow, I'll be surface that you get to show on. I'll support you while you support the light.'

He hesitated. I grabbed his hand,'Do it Tetsuya. You'll be the best in Japan not for winning, but for teamwork. All you need now is a light.' He grasped my hand back,'Aomine's gone. I'll have to find a new light soon.'

'Thank you, [Name].'

I held his hand,'Tetsuya, I will always believe in you.'

{~I will grab your extended hand, no matter how many times I fall~}

We began. The light, the shadow, the surface that supports all.

We worked hard, toiled hard. I helped Kuroko train and also Kagami. We worked hand in hand.

But, I lost.

I tore my arm muscle while playing a match against Kagami. I was sent off for rehabilitation.

But, with my shadow, I reached out and grabbed his hand tightly.

Kuroko supported me, telling me that I would play basketball again no matter what. I was grateful.

'I will always believe in you too, [Name].'

{~In the end, I will overcome it~}

I came out of the rehabilitation well and ready for play. Kuroko supported me as he supported Kagami too. I was utterly in his debt. He taught me how to love the sport I once gave up on. He taught me to stand up after any fall as he will be there to hold my hand. Most of all, he taught me how to live.

Then, I realised I loved him.

Kuroko had always stood by me no matter when. From Teiko, to Seirin all the way to the Winter Cup.

At the last moment between Touou and Seirin.

'Seirin won 101 to 100! Seirin advances to the next round!'

My heart burst with joy. Kuroko sent me a soft smile. Under his breath, his mouth shaped a few words.

'I love you.'

I wanted to cry, I wanted to laugh, I wanted to shout.

In the end, I only screamed.

'SEIRIN! FIGHT!!'

But as I sat down and faced him, I muttered under my breath.

'So, could you please keep on smiling?'

Then, I saw Kuroko smile brightly.

'I will.'