Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Who's this boy?" My mom questioned.

"His name is Jason. He wants to come over my house so we can study," I lied. She smiled. 

"Okay, get in." We drove back to the house in silence, hoping mom wouldn't bring up any discussion about boys and dating and other awkward things moms usually bring up when friends come over. As we got out the car, he followed me to the basement instead. The smell of rotting bodies and metal lingered around us as we entered my lab. The only sound was the squeaking of Jason sneakers on the marbel-tiled floor. 

"Sooo, where do I start?" He sked. I sighed. 

"We are first gonna learn," What IS a killer/murderer?" After a few hours of trying to explain to him about killing, he just stopped listening. That's when I lost my patience. 

"You know what? You seem like you know about murdering people more than I do. Why don't you teach me now." He frowned. 

"That's why I asked you-" 

"Exactly. Now sit down and shut up." He was quiet for the reast of the session. When  the lesson was over, he grabbed his stuff and hurried out the door. I decided to start working on my home work, so I wouldn't have to rush the next morning and do it (the result of laziness, not lack of knowledge, of course). I was on the third problem when the phone rang. Mom gave me the phone and hurried back into another room. I sighed and mumbled, "Hello?" 

"Hi, Ellie!" I grimaced. It's Elizabeth again. I shifted myself into a comfortable postion. This was going to be awhile, in other words, she talked a lot. I got used to it over the years, but right now I wasn't in the mood for talikng OR listening to people talk. 

"So, how's life treatin ya Ell?" 

"Good," I muttered. 

"Do you have a boyfriend, Ella?" She asked with that annoying voice of hers. I rolled my eyes. 

"No! Elizabeth. I don't." A slight pause. 

"Then why were you with that boy Jason?" I gritted my teeth and tried not to get upset.  

"Liz, you know I hate it when you just assume things, you sound ridiculous," I snapped.

"I'm sorry, I thought you guys were going out," she said. 

"Why would we? I haven't known him for a day, he gets on my nerves, and he doesn't like me." I could tell she was grinning over the phone.  

"Liz-" 

"I know you like him, Ell. Just admit it," she teased.  

"Look, were not going out, for the last time!" I then hung up the phone and continued on my work. Elizabeth is a nice girl and all, but she just assumes things, which gets on my nerves. How does she know Jason anyway? I may not like Jason, but Elizabeth and him would make a good couple ( or maybe not, considering that the girl talks a mile a minute and Jason seems like he doesn't really talk at all). I chuckled to myself, and as if on cue, the phone rang again. Liz? Well, I guess hanging up on your best friend who is trying to make you laugh is not the nicest thing to do. I'd better apologize. I picked up the phone and pressed the cold receiver to my ear. 

"Hello?" I asked. 

"I'm sorry about earlier-" 

"No, I should be, and I apologize.... so, what are doing right now?" 

"I'm just doing school work. Wanna come over?" I smiled. 

"Sure. I'll be right there." 

"Just say that we are study buddies when you meet my mom, and bring your stuff."

I was walking to Liz's house and had my bag slung over my shoulder. I wonder why we became best friends if we were so... different. Like they say, opposites do tend to attract, I guess. I quickened my pace as the winds became colder. It was pretty chilly for a late September afternoon. When I reached her doorsteps, I passed out on the steps and had lied there for 5 minutes. I saw a shadow of shoes in front of me. I looked up. Liz just grinned. 

"Ready?" She asked. I looked at her sleepily as she helped me up. 

"W-where are we going?" I stammered as she dragged my arm down the driveway. 

"Oh, it's a surprise... you might like it.."  

"You and your surprises," I muttered. As we walked for a while, I noticed there were streets I wasn't familiar with. I started to get nervous. 

"Uh, Lizzy? What is this place?" I asked. She still had that grin on her face from earlier. I began to worry even more. 

"Like I said, it's a surprise, silly!" Soon, we were on the steps of someone's house. She rang the doorbell. 

"Liz, who's house-" when the door opened, there was Jason standing at the doorway, smiling. My mouth dropped. 

"What are we doing here, Elizabeth?" I questioned, angry and annoyed. She could've at least told me we were going to somebody's house! 

"Well, what're you girls waiting for?! Come on in!" We entered the house and it smelled like cats and perfume. Not a good combination at all. As soon as we were settled on the couch, Jason brought back juices and cookies. 

"What brings you here ladies?" Jason asked. 

"Oh, stop it Jason. You knew we were coming!" She blushed and grinned. Ugh. Why did I even agree to come over at all? 

"So, you need help with your work.?" He asked. I shook my head. 

"Naw, I'm good," I muttered. But Liz leaned close to him.  

"You can help me with my home work., Jason," she cooed. I groaned. Why was she acting so lovesick around him? 

Jason took out his math book. and they started working on some things. I tasted the cookies on the platter. Well, at least the snacks were appealing.  

"I'm gonna get some more juice," I said, but they probably couldn't her me while they were flirting. When I came out the kitchen, she was kissing him! When they noticed me, she scrambled off top of him. 

"Hey, I wasn't gone that long guys. Do it when I'm not here." Still embarrassed, Jason cleared his throat and they continued to work. There was a knock. Who could it be? Liz, her stupid self, opened the door and there was a killer that took his knife out. Liz was the only one who freaked out and started calling for help, but Jason and I just exchanged glances and headed for our bookbags. 

"Don't move!" The guy screamed. We slowly took out our weapons. 

"I always come prepared," I said as Jason pulled out him a knife. The guy frowned.  

"You're not supposed to be playing with those things," The guy said. 

"Yeah, we know. You can leave our house now, or die," I threatened. He laughed. 

"I'm not afraid of kids like you. I'm much bigger. Besides, you're not really gonna hurt me." Well, obviously, this guy is all talk and no show, so well might as well get it over with. I managed to dodge his blocks and crawl on top of him and blowtorch his face. He screamed in pain as his eyeballs and skin melted away like water going down the drain. Then, I told Jason to " be off with him". When he came back, his hands were cleaned . Liz gasped. 

"Oh, my God, did you just kill him?" We nodded. 

"Don't worry, we won't kill you. Unless you tell." We all laughed. "But seriously, you need to keep this a secret, Liz." The blonde girl just stood there, dumbfounded. At that same time, Jason's mom walked inside the house to find a huge blood smear on her white carpet. 

"JASON...!"  

Jason and I looked at each other miserably.

"Oh, great.".