Chapter 22

One of my favourite Little Mix songs to the side

Picture of Riley’s dad >>

Riley stood over her father’s grave as the two undertakers buried it underground. Only a few prisoners, some guards and her friends were at the funeral. Emily, Ethan, Remy, Jayden, Nick even Toby had drove down for the funeral but surprisingly there was no sign of Ghost which hurt her feelings slightly. She felt like she had run out of tears at this point because all she had been doing for the past three days was crying and now she just felt numb.

She felt someone wrap their arm around her shoulders and she looked up to see Remy giving her a sad look but she smiled at him.

“I’m sorry about this” Remy said. She smiled and waved a dismissive hand, trying to put on a brave face just like her father had asked her to.

“Riley” she heard someone call from behind her. She turned and saw Jayden standing there, giving her a sad smile. She walked to him and he crashed her into his chest. She willed the tears that were building up in her eyes not to fall. “It’s okay to cry” he whispered. She felt a few tears fall as he said that.

“My parents are dead” she whispered. It still hadn’t sunk in. She was officially an orphan. Jayden gave her a sad look and just held onto her tighter. She loved the fact that he cared but he wasn’t showing her the pity she didn’t want.

Even though her father was dead, she didn’t want any pity.

Riley stared at the ceiling in her room. She was contemplating leaving the orphanage for good and taking Nick with her but she also wanted to do something about Ms Twist. She sighed and stared at her open suitcase on the floor. Was she willing to leave all her friends and her boyfriend?

She wanted to go and start looking for her half- brother. She had seen all her friends today, except for Ghost for some strange reason. She looked down at her funeral clothes and willed the tears not to fall. Even though no one was around. She didn’t want to cry because her father had told her not to.

“Nick!” she called out, his room was right next to hers so it shouldn’t be long until he showed up.

“Yeah?” he asked, he had walked in the room. The clothes he was wearing to the funeral were slightly dishevelled.

“I’m leaving” she said. His eyes widened making her feel even guiltier.

“What? No! I’m coming with you” he insisted.

“I was hoping you would say so” she said, giving him a small smile. “Look, my dad told me that he was married before and he had a son who should be around our age and I want to find the son. Whoever he is will be my only family left.”

“I understand” Nick said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “You know I’ll always be your brother right?” he asked. She giggled and rested her head on his shoulders.

“Of course. But I want to find my blood brother” she said, sobering up.

“You should say goodbye to Jayden first” Nick said. Riley felt a tug in her chest as he mentioned Jayden.

“I can’t. I’ll just call him tomorrow when I’m gone” she said. She couldn’t handle saying goodbye to Jayden. She broke the promise she made to herself not to make friends and she will face the consequences. Nick nodded in understanding and got up from the bed.

“Better get packed. We have to wake up early so Ms Twist won’t notice” he said. Riley sighed and nodded, looking down at her hands. “Love you” he called, exiting the room.

“Love you too” she whispered, feeling tears filling her eyes. Was she really able to leave all this behind?

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

“I think this motel is worse than my room back at the orphanage” Nick joked making Riley chuckle. They had left the orphanage early so Ms Twist won’t notice they left. Not that she would care. Riley decided that this was only temporary and when she found her blood brother she and Nick could figure it out from there. They were in a motel on the outskirts of town.

“Yeah I think it is” Riley said, looking around at the room. “It’s just for a night, right?”

“Agreed.”

Riley was feeling slightly depressed about leaving all her friends behind but she knew it was for the best. She promised her father she would find her half – brother and that’s what she was doing. A lump formed in her throat as she thought about Jayden. She had about twenty missed calls from him and several more from her other friends.

“I know you’re missing Jay, but it’s only for a little while. You’ll see him again” Nick assured her, lying down next to her.

“What if I don’t?” she asked, her voice shaky. “What if my half -brother lives in Switzerland in something?”

“Eventually you’ll find your way back to each other. I don’t know why you didn’t want to say goodbye to him properly but I’m sure it’s a good reason since you’re a rational person” he said.

“What if I never see Jay again?” she asked, just the thought caused a lump to form in her throat.

“You will. I promise” he insisted. “Why don’t you just call him?” Nick asked, handing her the phone. She stared at the phone for a while before nodding hesitantly.

She dialled Jayden’s number and he answered on the first ring.

“Riley?” he said into the phone. Riley whimpered at how relieved he was sounding.

“Yeah. Hi Jayden” she said, putting the phone by her ear.

“Where are you?” he asked. She could imagine him raising one eyebrow or tapping his foot impatiently.

“In a motel. I won’t be back in New York for a while” she said.

“I’m sorry, what?” Jayden asked after a while of silence.

“Um, I’m going to find my half- brother. I promised my father I will find him and get out of that orphanage” she explained, hoping he would understand.

“I could have come with you!” he said sounding riled up. She winced at his tone.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want to take you away from your sisters and your brother and this is something I needed to do without you” she said.

“Riley” he trailed off.

“I love you Jayden” she said before hanging up the phone.

Sorry if it’s short

Okay byeee