Part 36

Soft light filtered in through sheer drapes and reflected off pale yellow walls, stirring JoLynn gently to life. She yawned and stretched, burrowing deeper into downy pillows and a lofty comforter as the memory of her arrival yesterday played through her mind. Around supper time she'd pulled her road-weary SUV through the front gate and down the driveway to her dad's expansive house. Inside, she found a casual dinner party attended by family, friends, and business associates, already well underway. Her father had swept her into his arms, the joy lighting his features unmistakable, and announced to everyone that the guest of honor had arrived. The prodigal had returned.

Of course, he hadn't said the part about the prodigal returning, but that's how it had felt as he reintroduced her to work colleagues who hadn't seen her since she'd been a girl. Tired as she'd been from the long drive, she'd hung in there, through the barbequed ribs, the kids splashing in the pool, and all the general excitement until past eleven o'clock when the last guests departed. She stretched again and observed the shifting of the shadows on the wall as the sun continued to rise.

The crystal clock on the bedside table told her it was well after nine, and she really should be getting up. But Kelly was not likely finished with the pouting jag brought on by not being the center of attention at the party last night, and the peaceful cocoon of her room held her fast. She'd forgotten how pleasant waking up here could be.

A light knock sounded on the door.

"Come in."

The housekeeper, Natalia, pushed the door open and entered with a tray of what JoLynn hoped was breakfast. "Rise and shine."

JoLynn couldn't stop the smile that broke out, not that she would have tried. Natalia was way more than the housekeeper. She had always been a friend and ally—even a mother to her—when JoLynn had needed one most. "Don't you mean, 'Get your lazy butt out of the bed'?"

Natalia's smile was sly, her dark eyes sparkled. "Is someone feeling guilty for sleeping in?"

JoLynn sat up and fluffed the pillows. "Has Daddy gone to work yet?"

Natalia nodded and situated the breakfast tray over JoLynn's legs. Then she perched on the edge of the bed. "You looked a little tired and overwhelmed last night, so he thought it might be best if you took the week to get settled back in here before starting work."

"The whole week?"

Natalia's smile widened.

"A day or so may be all I can stand." The thought of spending a whole week at home with Kelly made her want to pull the covers over her head and settle in right here until next Monday. "Maybe I could spend the week looking for an apartment or a little house to rent."

"That would break your daddy's heart."

"Seriously?"

"JoLynn, he's been walking on air since he got the news you were coming home. You're the new queen around here."

JoLynn pinched off a bit of the warm, home-made flour tortilla and poked it into her mouth with a grunt. "For now, maybe. I guess I should enjoy it while it lasts. But he didn't seriously believe I'd want to live here permanently, did he? And I know Kelly doesn't want me here any longer than absolutely necessary."

Natalia remained diplomatically silent, but the smirk on her face said plenty, not the least of which was eat your eggs before they get cold.

JoLynn forked a bite of huevos rancheros into her mouth and groaned. "Oh, Natalia. I've missed your cooking. Maybe I do want to live here forever."

"Well," Natalia rose and crossed to the windows where she opened the blinds letting even more light stream in through gauzy drapes. "Whether you live in this house forever or not, one thing is for sure. You can't stay in this room forever."