Part 34

"Miss Evangline, that was, without a doubt, the best peach cobbler I've ever tasted." Curtis pushed his bowl away and leaned back in his chair, replete.

JoLynn rose, gathered their dishes, and gently deposited them in the sink. "You say that every year." The thought of Curtis loosening his belt and unsnapping his jeans in her grandmother's kitchen—something she could totally picture him doing—lightened her heart a little, though all day it had ached.

"It bears repeating." Curtis gave her a wink and an empathetic smile. His way of encouraging her.

Today hadn't been easy for him either. Or Mel. The movers had come this morning and loaded JoLynn's belongings onto a truck bound for Odessa. Then the three of them spent the afternoon clearing the last of their things out of the office, before taking one last look around, then locking the door and walking away in heartsick silence. Comfort food was definitely in order, so they'd met here in Fredericksburg to pick the last of the peaches off the tree in the backyard for a cobbler, homemade by them, according to Grandma's recipe and under her direct supervision. Their last project.

"Thank you, Curtis." Her grandmother said. "I couldn't have done it without you."

"I'll wash." JoLynn tried to swallow the ache in her throat as Mel joined her at the sink.

"Then, I'll dry." Mel reached for a dishrag, then laid a hand on JoLynn's shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze.

"So tell me, young man. What are your plans now that you three are going your separate ways?"

"Well," Curtis drawled. "I don't like to brag, but I got a pretty good gig in the maintenance department of a camp not too far from here."

This was news. JoLynn paused in her chore for a second to study his demeanor. He didn't look at her.

"So, you're gonna be a maintenance man?" Mel drawled back at him, a grin spreading across her face. "Fixing stopped up toilets during summer camp? It's the perfect job for you."

"I'll also be managing all their technology needs, thank you very much."

"So, he'll be fixing toilets and computers." JoLynn finished the last dish, handed it to Mel, and rinsed the sink. "How'd you come by that job?"

"I told you I knew some people." Curtis finally looked at her, flashed a grin, and JoLynn's answering smile came a little more naturally. "Truth be told, though, what I'm really looking forward to is the paintball course."

JoLynn glanced at Mel who rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"What about you, Mel?" Grandma Evangeline asked. "Where will you be headed?"

"Actually, I have an interview Monday. For a teaching position in Austin." Mel leaned against the counter. "I feel pretty good about it. It seems like a promising opportunity."

It did. JoLynn nodded, pleased that Mel would get to finally pursue her own dream, and Curtis would have some free time to figure out what his dream was. The time had come for her to take her place within her dad's company, to learn the ropes. And she'd accepted the course—even felt a little excitement about the prospect of a new beginning. It was moving back into her father's house that troubled her. Living in the shadow of Kelly's glory would be the hardest part.

"What about you, JoLynn?" Curtis asked. "What's your timeline look like?"

JoLynn took a deep breath and then let it out slowly. "I'll stay here for a few days to decompress. Then I'll go back to Odessa." She smiled softly, satisfied that for the first time ever voicing the plan didn't bring the sting of tears.

"When are your things scheduled to arrive?"

"Monday." JoLynn folded a dish towel and laid it on the counter. "Daddy's going to take care of storing them for me." She paused and grinned at her grandmother. "He's been very accommodating."

Grandma smiled back. Then the ache rose fresh and sudden in JoLynn's heart. She glanced down to mask the tears as thoughts of Shane tore through her mind. Here they were, the three of them, sharing details of their upcoming plans, saying their goodbyes. But where was he tonight? Maybe with his dad. Or maybe all alone. Lord, don't let him be all alone. Be with him, wherever he is.

"Well, kids..." Curtis pushed his chair back. "We ought to be heading back to Austin. I don't have any place to be tomorrow, so I figure a little night life is in order. What do you say, Mel? Want to go for another tattoo?"

"I will if you will."

JoLynn swallowed her tears and chuckled at the challenge. Curtis would probably have ten tattoos if it wasn't for his irrational fear of needles.

"Well, I guess you just never know what might happen." Curtis pushed up one sleeve and flexed a lean bicep. "I'm thinking...a ring of barbed wire, right there. Maybe with some flames behind it."

"Whatever." Mel gave him a playful shove.

JoLynn followed her two best friends to the parlor where the three turned to face each other. Mel's tears came in a sudden, unexpected rush. She grabbed JoLynn fiercely and held her tightly for a too-brief moment.

"I hate goodbyes," she said, breathlessly. "I'll call you tomorrow."

JoLynn nodded, but couldn't speak as Mel turned and stepped out onto the front porch. Then Curtis laid both hands on her shoulders and studied her face.

"I probably won't call you tomorrow." His quiet voice filled her heart. "But I might text you next week. Or send you an email, or something."

She sniffed and tried hard to smile. Apparently, Curtis saw right through the brave front. He pulled her into an embrace, wrapping her in long arms.

"You're gonna be fine." He whispered, bringing a fresh surge of tears to her eyes. "It'll be no time at all before you're running your Daddy's business, making millions of dollars, and making us proud. And you know, with a sizable enough donation, I bet I could persuade the camp to name a cabin after you."

She laughed through her tears. "A whole cabin?"

"Well, at least a bridge, or a boat dock." He pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "Maybe a rock."

"Wow. I think you might have a future in fund raising," JoLynn said, then she took a deep breath and let it go. All of it; the show, the past few years, the dream...all of it except Shane, whose defeated expression imposed itself over every other thought. Where was he tonight? How was he? Lord, please, don't let him be all alone. Although he acted like a loner—an island unto himself, being left alone was the one thing that could completely devastate him.

"He loves you, you know." Curtis' voice seeped into her soul. "And he didn't betray you. He didn't do any of this on purpose."

Hot tears trailed down her cheeks as she squeezed her eyes shut. "You talked to him?"

She felt Curtis nod. "I did. And so did Mel. And we're all OK. You might never forgive him, JoLynn. But don't hold this grudge on our behalf."

After a long moment she nodded. And then she let the grudge go as well.

Curtis turned her loose, then reached for a tissue from the box on the coffee table. "Here. You might want to clean yourself up. You're a little snotty."

She accepted it and wiped her eyes and nose. "I'm gonna miss you guys."

He nodded, swallowed hard, and then stepped out to join Mel on the porch.

JoLynn stepped out, too, and watched them get into Curtis' truck. She tried again to smile as the engine rumbled to life, then again as it took her friends down the street, turned the corner, and disappeared from sight. Finally standing alone, she let the forced smile fade along with the sound of the departing vehicle. A moment later, the warm evening air stirred to life again with the sounds of cicadas and barn swallows.

Curtis' words echoed through her mind.

He didn't do any of this on purpose.