Part 30

"So, this is where the magic happens?" Curtis drawled the question quietly from behind her as JoLynn stepped off the elevator and into the Overton Investments office. She hadn't wanted to come back here today. But with Mel and Curtis beside her, the experience wasn't nearly as unnerving as she'd anticipated. Although, the hush that fell over the workplace as the three proceeded toward Truman's office sabotaged her meager measure of peace. And watching the frown grow to crease Bess's features as they approached her desk made JoLynn want to turn and head right back out again. Truman's secretary glanced from JoLynn to Mel to Curtis, and then back to JoLynn.

"Is he expecting you?" Exasperation underscored Bess's question.

"He's expecting this." JoLynn summoned a small reserve of indignation and held up her letter of resignation.

"And the rest of you?" She glanced pointedly at Curtis, who held up his letter. Mel raised hers, as well.

Bess took a deep breath and rolled her eyes heavenward. "Just a moment."

JoLynn held her breath as Bess disappeared into Truman's office.

"What!" Truman's shout came a short moment later followed by a string of words that were, thankfully, unintelligible.

Bess pulled the door open, stepped aside and indicated with a flourish of her arm that they could go in. Truman stood behind his desk, fuming.

"What is this?" He barked at them. "What is this?"

"My resignation." JoLynn stepped forward and laid the page on his desk. "We talked about this yesterday."

"Yes." Truman ran a hand across the back of his neck. "You and I talked about this. I didn't talk about this with you, Curtis. Or you, Mel. And I certainly didn't talk about this with Shane."

JoLynn's breath caught. Her heart pounded as her lips formed to ask the question that reared up, but the words wouldn't come.

"He was in here an hour ago. Quitting. So, if you don't mind, I'd like an explanation." Truman yanked his chair back and took a seat, then sat glaring at her, his breath wheezing in and out violently.

"Um..." JoLynn glanced at Curtis who shrugged and shook his head. "Truman, I haven't spoken with Shane in days. So, I can't explain it. But here's my resignation, like we talked about. Yesterday."

"We didn't talk about it." Curtis laid his page on top of JoLynn's. "But here's mine, too."

"And mine." Mel added hers to the stack.

Truman stared at them in stunned silence. But he couldn't possibly be more stunned than JoLynn.

"Shane quit?" She made no effort to mask the note of hope in her voice. Everyone in this room knew her. They knew of her humiliating failure. There was no point in feigning aloofness or nonchalance. Or even pride. Mel glanced at her.

"Yes! Shane quit." As if that outburst had spent him completely, Truman sagged back into his chair. "He broke his contract despite all my threats and the consequences. And now all three of you...the whole crew has resigned. Would somebody please tell me what is going on?"

An excellent question and one JoLynn would like an answer to as well.

Curtis cleared his throat. "In light of the recent staffing changes, I've decided the time is right for me to pursue other projects. It's all there in my letter. Mel's is fairly clear, too. Hers is a little less inspiring, though."

Truman's face reddened. "Other projects?" He stared at them for a long moment, his fury simmering, barely under control. Finally, on a long, heavy sigh, he deflated and his anger seemed to drain away. "All right. Fine. This little project hasn't gained me anything but headaches, anyway. I thought Shane might be able to turn it around, but since he refuses, I guess it's time to cut my losses."

He sat up and reached for his glasses, then he glanced over the letters on his desk. All business again. "So. Can y'all get cleared out of your office by Friday of next week?"

"Um...yes." JoLynn glanced at Mel who gave her a small shrug. That would give them a week and a half. "That should be no problem."

"Good. I can at least get that space up for lease again."

"So," JoLynn gave a little shake of her head. "You're pulling the plug on the show?"

"Yes, JoLynn. It's over." Truman put their letters aside and turned to his computer. "With no host and no crew, there really is no show, is there?"

"But..."

But what?

But the host and crew were all right here. It would be a small matter to take back their letters and go back to the way things were. Just the three of them again. The suggestion almost slipped right out, but the memory of Mel's face as she talked about the teaching job held her back. It was her dream job. That's what she'd said. Her dream job. And the joy in her father's voice when she'd called to tell him what all had happened here, and that she'd be moving home within a few weeks' time... Her homecoming had been his dream.

"But what?" Truman's voice called her back.

But they could take it all back. The idea surged again. Even if Mel didn't stay on, she and Curtis could. They could find someone to take Mel's place and they could keep this dream of hers going. Her dad would be disappointed, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time he'd been disappointed in her because she hadn't done what he wanted. And he had years yet until he retired and needed a successor.

Maybe Truman would let them.

Curtis's hand came to rest on her shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze, committed to ending this dream, same as Mel. And JoLynn was committed, too. She had to be, because Truman did not want her at the helm. This was completely over for all of them.

Truman still stared at her, eyebrows raised, waiting for a response.

She shook her head. "Nothing."