To The Gate

www.gatekeepersdaughter.com

Now available for you in Kindle and trade paperback formats on Amazon.com

Also the sequel (book 2 of 9) has is posted here on Wattpad.  The Title is "In Darkness Deep"

As Aramos lead the party deeper into the winding mining complex of caverns and tunnels, it seemed apparent that their map was inaccurate and clearly hadn't been updated for some time. Many new shafts wound this way and that, and made navigation more of a guessing game than a science. With Max and Audra contributing and Theon getting the hang of tracking and scouting underground they made their way with some difficulty due north as desired. They continued toward the one room that seemed to be both the bottle neck for the mining level, but also for anyone who wanted to venture to the deepest parts of the catacombs.

After a time they came without incident to the room they sought. It was much like depicted on the map save the addition of one more shaft that seemed newer and unsettlingly to come in from due north and up from a steep grade.  The shaft travel well beyond their ability to see, and was perhaps betrayed by the cool, yet rank air it was filled with.

“Orcs or Helam” Aramos thought, as did Max and Halfstone and half the rest.  Yet they remained silent, and kept their concerns to themselves, sharing only glances of concern.  This was enough for those who had misgivings to communicate that the danger was now greater and the need even more pressing.  Certainty inexorably filled each mind; they were very likely not alone in the deep, and would just as likely confirm their fears and suspicions before long.  For the present Aramos kept his mind sharply focused on the present, but with a though to the pressing danger.

The room was cut with considerable skill out of the same solid dark rock that seemed popular with the glow worms, but lacked the algae the worms fed on. There were six large benches carved from stone and of approximately man size. In on the middle of one emerged the new shaft that ran north and up to where, none could be certain, and only deeply suspicious. Clearly the new tunnel was also cut with skill, but in a rushed and hap-hazard way as made evident by its rugged appearance. It was not a mining shaft by which was clear because of the lack of ceiling support columns present elsewhere. This gave them all an uneasy feeling, like perhaps someone had made this tunnel to sneak into the catacombs unseen by the council.  Aiden for his part would be sure to report this to Zurvan Larka, who would not take kindly to competition for access.  Something had to be done about this his thoughts continued.  He was interrupted by a sudden command; the whisper of which somehow startled him, though no one noticed.

Aramos said only "Rest" which in military terms means eat, drink and take a few minutes to rest. Some clearly did not know what that meant, but were able to see by the reactions of Max, Justin, Rom, Halfstone, Kilimir and Theon what was meant by "rest". For her part Merelie did not like the idea of living such a regimented life that people would actually tell you when to rest, or eat or sleep or when you leave. Something about that sort of life just didn't sit well with her. For his part Theon was relieved as he was starving and couldn't wait to sample some of the fine Maar Cheese he had obtained “somewhere” along the way.

They all took some time to drink water and eat. Max looked at Halfstone's wounds which though long had not been as deep as he originally feared. Rom's ring was making quick work of what injury remained.

Kilimir took Halfstone's breast plate and started bending it as he could so it could be as useful as possible.  He carried a small but sturdy hammer for such times, and was often times given a piece of copper to use it after or just before a battle.  Indeed, Kilimir learned long ago that simple tools at such times were invaluable.  This simple hammer had more than paid for itself many times over.  Kilimir padded the metal with a thick strap of leather and a towel which served to greatly reduce the noise mad by the pounding.