17. Back To The Meat Grinder

I walked into the school, my hand in Gerard’s. He was happy, he was just happy to leave the house and be somewhere new again. Mikey was rather surprised at that. We walked into the school and to our lockers which we had to go separate ways for. When we met up in our first period Art class, we sat down together. Mrs. Bowtie didn’t seem amused to see us when we walked in and sat.

“Surprised that you two are back.” Mrs. Bowtie announced as all the other students came into class. I looked at her over my shoulder and smirked, she gave me a nasty look. Gerard sat there calmly, his hand still in mine, but not gripping as tightly. “Okay, today you will be making a lion out of this paper.” Mrs. Bowtie said to the class, she held up some thick construction paper.

“Not art.” Gerard said, just loud enough that I thought I could hear it.

“Excuse me? What did you just say, young man?” Mrs. Bowtie asked. Gerard turned in his seat and looked at her. I was rather surprised he did so, normally he wouldn’t do anything. Gerard locked eyes with her, I could just see those evil sparks of lightning coming from their eyes and slashing together.

“That’s not art.” Gerard answered. Mrs. Bowtie looked like she was about to explode into a bunch of little bitches. “That’s a craft. Sure, crafts are art, but all of us making the same thing to see who can make one better? That’s not art, that’s a crafts competition. How about you give us free choice, make everything different, that way no one has to compete and feel like hell if you grade someone better.” Gerard said clearly. Everyone seemed shocked at what Gerard had said. “To be bluntly honest, I don’t think you’re an art teacher at all. I saw the projects you hung up in the show case and that’s not art. This is high school, and what you are telling your students to do is something a preschooler should be doing.” Gerard said with almost no emotion in his voice. I think I could see smoke puffing out from Mrs. Bowtie’s ears.

“Are you really trying to tell me how to teach my class?” Mrs. Bowtie snapped. Gerard simply nodded his head. A few girls and guys from the other side of the class said ‘yea’ as well. Mrs. Bowtie looked appalled, like she never thought this would happen. “Just get to work.” Mrs. Bowtie ordered.

“I’m rather surprised you’re married. I don’t know who could stand to be in love with you.” Gerard said. Students laughed. Mrs. Bowtie looked ready to go over and slap Gerard. “I think it is time for you to retire from your job, you’re obviously way past your retirement date.” Gerard told her. Mrs. Bowtie growled something and stormed out of the room. The room went silent. Gerard looked at me and scratched the back of his head. I grinned at him.

“That was incredible.” I said taking both of his hands. Other students were just talking and being annoying now since the teacher had left the room. “I’m surprised, Gee.” It told him. Gerard smiled and I hugged him tightly after throwing my arms around him. I kissed him hard on the lips and he giggled. Gerard grinned and gave me a tight hug.

The rest of the school day went like that and it was a good day. Even Mikey had a good day. Everything felt good for once. It turned out that Mrs. Bowtie was actually retiring, I figured that what Gerard had said to her really struck her in the bones. The principle announced that an old art teacher that we had was coming back, it was Mr. Phil, and he was the greatest art teacher a student could ask for. I knew Gerard would love him, he was a real artist too. Mr. Phil knew what he was doing.

000000000000000000000000000000000

Gerard, Mikey, and I walked into the house. Linda was on the couch watching the news. Gerard and I went to collapse on the couch together and Mikey went straight to the bathroom. He had this issue where he would not, and refused to go to the restroom at school.

“Hey boys, how was school?” Linda asked, she gave us a motherly smile and grinned when she saw I was halfway in Gerard’s lap and our hands were linked together. “I’m assuming it went rather well?” Linda asked with a smile when she saw how happy our faces were.

“You should have seen Gerard! He basically put Mrs. Bowtie to the ground and got her to retire!” I said with a little cheer. Gerard grinned.

“Finally that ol’ hag retired. It’s about time.” Linda said with a laugh. “She must’ve really gotten under your skin, Gerard.” Linda said. Gerard nodded and wrapped his arms around me. “I’m happy that you stuck up for something you believed in.” Linda said.

“Thankyou.” Gerard replied.

“So your birthday is coming up very soon, right?” Linda asked. Gerard thought for a moment. He then nodded. “The ninth, right?” Linda asked. Gerard nodded again. It was April third right then. Gerard looked at me and smirked. “What would you like to do for your birthday?” Linda asked.

“Nothing special.” Gerard said. “I don’t want to have anything special, it’s not really a special day.” Gerard told her. She looked at him and sighed.

“You know…what’s in the past is in the past. Have you ever seen Lion King?” Linda asked. Gerard nodded. “Hakuna Matata.” Linda said. Gerard smiled a little bit. “This birthday will be different, Gerard. You’ll legally be an adult, eighteen years old!” Linda said. Gerard glanced at me. I squeezed his hand. “That’s something to celebrate.” She said. Gerard thought for a moment and nodded after a little bit.