5. How It Became

The first day of school for the Way brothers was skipped. Linda didn’t seem to mind, when Mikey and I explained what happened. She just kind of frowned and nodded. She said she was proud that I stood up for Gerard, Mikey even thanked me. I didn’t really know how to react to them being proud or whatever, I was just amazed that Gerard had acknowledged me and even spoke.

Mikey and I were out on the back porch watching the sun setting over the backyard fence. I had a Dr. Pepper in my hand and Mikey had a Coke Zero. Gerard was inside taking a shower. Linda was a bit skeptical at first about Gerard showering, but Mikey said he was alright. Gerard normally hated showers, but Mikey convinced him that he needed one.

“Can I ask you something, Mikey?” I asked.

“You just did.” Mikey teased. I narrowed my eyes and stuck out my tongue. He grinned and nodded. “Of course.” Mikey added.

“Well…it’s kind of personal, I don’t know if it is a touchy subject or not.” I said. Mikey shrugged his shoulders and gave me a slight nod. “How did you and Gerard end up in a foster home in the first place? Like…what happened to your original family?” I asked. Mikey took a drink of his soda and licked his lips.

“Well…that is a touchy subject.” Mikey said, he made a small smirk. I instantly felt bad. “But…it’s good to talk about things, get things off of your chest and such.” Mikey told me, he gave me a slight smile. “So, I’ll talk about it.” Mikey said. “As long as you don’t mention it to Gerard, or to anyone else.” Mikey said.

“I promise. My lips will be sealed.” I said with a raise of my right hand, like some kind of boy scout. Mikey nodded and pushed his glasses up his thin nose.

“I was only ten, when it happened. Gerard was just turning twelve. It was actually his birthday. When everything happened.” Mikey said, he looked sad. I didn’t know what had happened. “He wasn’t like he is now back then. He was…normal, healthy, and had no issues.” Mikey started again, his face was pained. “He wasn’t….retarded.” Mikey choked out, he had his jaw clenched tightly, his eyes closed tightly. “He was fucking normal.” Mikey coughed. I reached out to touch Mikey’s shoulder in a way of sympathy, but he waved my hand away. “His twelfth birthday is when someone broke into our house. During Gee’s birthday party, a guy my dad had worked with broke in. He was mad, he was drunk, and he had some kind of grudge against my dad. He had a gun, a fucking gun! He meant business.” Mikey cried. I felt bad.

“Mikey, you don’t have to keep going.” I whispered between his heavy sobs. He shook his head.

“Gerard was very protective, and that instinct in him is still there. He’ll always have that in him. The guy tried shooting my dad, but Gerard jumped in front of him, he got shot, it hit him in the head, it went through parts of his frontal lobe, cerebral cortex, and parietal lobe. He didn’t go down then, but he stayed up, dad pushed him out of the way when the second shots were fired, and dad and mom went down. They were dead instantly, the guy then turned on me. Gerard…he…h-he moved as fast as he could and stood in front of me, he tried to protect me…he got shot again, this time in the chest. He saved my life. The killer left, I knew who he was, so getting him arrested wasn’t an issue.” Mikey cried. “But…trying to keep my brother conscious until the police and ambulances came, which was an issue. They seemed to take forever, and I thought for the longest time that Gerard would just slip away.

“Gee had to go to the hospital, and I had to go too, I was so shaken up. The Way family, and Rush family was basically gone by then, so we had no one to go to. I thought I was going to lose Gerard, but they said that if they worked quickly with the bullet that went into his brain he could possibly survive. He was unconscious by then, but they saved him. Nothing was too fatal for him, the doctors said it was a one in a gazillion chance that he’d live, and he did. But…most of his motor skills, and muscle control left, he can’t distinguish speech, he doesn’t understand a lot of emotion, and he has trouble controlling his own emotions. The doctors flat out said that with the injuries he received he would be mentally challenged now, it hurt…telling me…the younger brother that my big brother would now be retarded.” Mikey sobbed. I actually got out of my seat and hugged him. He clung to me, so thin compared to Gerard, and he was crying heavier. “I thought for sure it’d be hopeless…that we wouldn’t be able to do anything, he’s loaded up on medication, and I’m like his parent; though I’m his brother. No one fucking wanted the parental kid with a special brother, no one. Until your mom decided to take us home.”

“We’re not going to get rid of you, Mikey.” I whispered in his ear, Mikey sobbed in my shoulder, his whole body shaking. “I promise.” I whispered.

“I’ve never seen Gerard so happy in a new home. It’s like he’s normal sometimes, like he’s back to good ‘ol Gee. But, deep down he is. He likes you, Frankie. He trusts you. He’s never trusted someone so easily before.” Mikey said.

“He spoke to me.” I said. Mikey lifted his head from his shoulder, his bloodshot watery eyes wide.

“He did?” Mikey asked. I nodded.

“He didn’t make much sense, but I understood what he was trying to say. I was shocked at first, but…he did talk to me.” I answered. Mikey gave me a small smile.

“That’s incredible.” Mikey whispered. I nodded and he hugged me tightly. “Thankyou, thankyou so much, Frankie.” Mikey cried happily. I rubbed his back in a soothing way because Mikey was still crying.