Chapter 3

As we turned right on to the smaller corridor where all the lads apartments were we saw him standing there. He was just leaning casually in the doorway to his apartment. All I could think was ‘How can one guy be so gorgeous?!” Jay was standing waiting for the pair of us to finally arrive. I looked at him then blinked, expecting him to disappear and it all be a dream.

But he didn’t and it wasn’t.

I looked him up and down looking at his clothes. Grey joggers, blue t-shirt and of course his old, battered and neglected Converse were his choice. I knew that although he looked good in anything, this was definitely one of his best ‘accidental’ looks. By accidental I mean he probably just threw it on thinking ‘I’m only chilling, this’ll do!’

Before I knew it, we were at the door. All thoughts flew from my head.

(Jay)

‘It’s about time’ I thought to myself.

“Whoa!” I muttered under my breath. The two girls were walking towards my apartment. Frankie looked... like a girl.

She rarely wore shorts or even had her hair down! Usually she had a snapback or beanie on covering her ponytail, but now she not only had it uncovered but she had it down as well! Frankie’s hair cascades way past her shoulders. It’s a gorgeous ginger colour that I know she doesn’t like but she’d never change it. I’d never seen Frankie with her hair down like that, it was all straight and smooth.

Before I knew it Lauren and Frankie were only metres away, I snapped back into reality and hugged and greeted the girls as they stood in the hall taking their jackets off. I told them to go into the lounge and asked if they wanted a drink.

(Frankie)

We walked into the lounge at Jay’s and saw the 4 other guys and their girlfriends. Almost immediately Dan shot up and kissed Lauren. They’ve been going out for a while now. We all heard a smash in the kitchen; Lauren and Dan stood up and walked out of the door before heading for the kitchen. I could hear them talking but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. I walked across the room and sat on one of the two bean bags that were on the far side of the coffee table. As I sat down, my whole body slid and sunk until I was in a comfy position. Lauren and Dan returned hand in hand they both slumped back onto the couch that they were originally sitting on.

Lauren wouldn’t look me in the eye but she was smiling so I knew whatever Jay wanted me for couldn’t be that bad. Could it?

At that moment a shout came from the kitchen, “Lads, come and help me with these will you?” so they all went and helped Jay.

I looked around and saw all the girls looking around the room looking slightly bored. So I grabbed the TV remote and put on the Top 40 on the music channels. Lauren looked at me and smiled: I smiled back. We started singing quietly then we all looked at each other and grinned, all of a sudden the room ringing with our singing. We didn’t realise that we were being watched until someone coughed at the door. It was Dan. Lauren’s cheeks went a light shade of pink. The boys walked in and gave everyone their drinks.

Ten minutes later we were all having our own conversations, I was talking to Jay. We started off talking about college and friends and then we got on to rugby and athletics. Jay and I were the sporty ones of us all, we were in the same athletics team and Jay played rugby. We were talking about the athletics final that was coming up; we were both competing for the college. I was running 800 metres, while Jay was running the 200m and the relay. We were both really good at sports and we were both studying it at college, Jay and I were the only ones from our group of friends that were studying sports but it was okay because we had each other for company.

Dan tapped me on the shoulder, “Do you mind if we swap seats for a few minutes? I just need to talk to Jay” he said with a smile.

“Yeah of course you can, go ahead,” I replied as I stood up to sit on the sofa with my best friend. She gave me a hug and asked how I was and we sat and had a nice chat. We sat laughing at Isaac who was doing his impression of a penguin for no particular reason and giggled when Mia nearly tripped Sam up.

After about 15 minutes Dan wanted his seat back so we went to swap again but Jay stole my bean bag and rested his feet on it, I looked at him and asked for it back and he said no.

“I’ll sit on your knee!” I threatened.

“You say that like you’re heavy,” Jay said.

“That’s because I am heavy! Do you really want me to sit on your knee? If not then I suggest you give me the bean bag back!” I explained.

“He wants you to sit on his knee” Lauren whispered behind me. I saw Mia nodding as she had heard what Lauren had said, ‘Why would he want me to sit on his knee though?’ I thought to myself.

I began to walk towards him and he still didn’t budge. So I sat on his knee to which he didn’t complain. It wasn’t awkward and surprisingly none of the others laughed.

(Jay)

 I heard a sarcastic “Awwww” which was probably from Sam and Lee. After a few minutes of talking, Frankie tried to get up and sit on the floor but I just wrapped an arm round her waist to keep her where she was. She looked at me with her gorgeous green eyes. She hugged me and whispered in my ear “What’s wrong Jay? You’ve been acting differently” then she pulled away.

“Come on,” I said. Frankie stood up looking a little confused; I steadied myself then took her hand and led the way out. I took her out on to the balcony at the back of my apartment but it was in front of the lounge window. Everyone could see us. But I didn’t really mind. I hopped onto the wall that separated mine and Dan’s balcony from Sam and Lee’s. Frankie jumped up and sat on the other end; I patted the space at the side of me, Frankie realised and moved over so that our shoulders met. We sat in silence for about 5 minutes, it wasn’t awkward.