Chapter 2

Two minutes later she strolled out holding a pair of my shorts and a tight tank top. She lobbed the top at me and said put that on, so I did. I wasn’t too bothered about the tank top as it was my favourite one, my grey one, and also it was one of the few that didn’t make me look fat so I was pleased with that.

Then the bit I was dreading. The denim shorts, they had been hidden away in the back of my wardrobe for a while and now they had found their way out. She threw them at me and said “Now put those on!” There was a glint in her eye and the corners of her mouth were curling, Lauren has always tried to get me out of my comfy joggers and into some shorts or even a dress! She has never succeeded in any of her many battles, apart from today. It looked like it was shorts or no trousers at all, so I stuck with the denim demons.

I slipped them on and walked over to the mirror that was on my wardrobe door, “Well, I sure look like a girl now,” I said to Lauren. There was no reply so I turned round to see her victorious smile and nod. I walked into my wardrobe to look for a beanie that would make me look more like ‘Normal Frankie’. I found my blue one and took it out, shutting the door behind me. I looked in the mirror. I put the hat, ‘now I look decent’ I thought to myself. I looked at Lauren through the mirror; she was shaking her head at me.

 “What?” I asked innocently. She didn’t say anything. She just came up to me and took off my hat and then led me into her room. She sat me down at her dressing table and began on my hair.

She got out her GHDs and plugged them in; as they were heating up she asked me why I thought Dan wanted us so urgently. “Well I don’t know to be honest, but it sounds kind of serious,” I replied. Lauren picked up her comb and straighteners and got to work. Fifteen minutes later I was pulling my jacket and Converse on.

Once we were ready we began trekking up the three flights of stairs; the lift was stuck as it had been for the last 3 days! As we walked up the second flight of stairs I began to imagine the reasons Dan would want us to go to Jay’s this urgently. Then my mind began to focus on Jay.

I’ve previously had crushes on Jay but he has never known, neither have the rest of the group. This is because I have always believed that I would get laughed at and Jay would run for his life! Jay was the lad that I was closest to, with Lauren going out with Dan and all of the others having girlfriends, me and Jay were best mates. We have had our fights, made up with hugs and been told that we’d make a cute couple. But we’ve never actually gone out or even asked each other how we felt.

We reached the floor that all the boys lived on. Panting, I typed in Jay’s flat number on the buzzer so that he could let us in. He picked up the phone. “Let... us... in!” I pleaded through the panting from running up the final flight of stairs. We heard a sudden buzz meaning he had opened the door. We slowly plodded along the corridor looking for the electric blue coloured door.