Chapter Four: Mother Knows Best

A/N: That you so much for sticking with me and giving me some good advice. I'm not a perfect writer and I just want everyone to know that I want their help to make me a better writer. I, someday, want to publish this but I can't do it without you guys. You know, a writer is nothing without his fans and readers. Yeah... Ima stop talking now and let you read this next cahpter :)

_______________________________________________________________________________

I pulled up to my uncle’s house slow and miserable. My first day was supposed to be perfect yet I ended up not going back to first period. I sat in the bathroom all day trying to calm myself down. After our little hug, I left Brian to himself in the hall and it seemed like I was going back to class but I made sure Brian didn’t see me duck into the bathroom. You know those stalls that are bigger than the rest of the stalls? Yeah, I sat in that one for the rest of first period. Time and time again I’d almost start crying but I’d stop myself. And when I was sure my eyes were no longer puffy, I went to my car to head to second period (all the way across campus).

I had neither Carter nor Mason in the rest of my classes which was more than okay. I hated the fact that I had to go back to that class with Mason the next day. I was so not looking forward to it. But, I wasn’t really looking forward to going back to my uncle’s because both of them could tell when a person cried. By both, I hope you know I mean Avory and Uncle Mike because they can. It’s not even funny! You know how mothers try to cover up crying? Well, for me, it’s not use because Avory knows and won’t let me leave his sight. My Uncle Mike─ who is an Ex-Interrogator­─ would interrogate you until you broke down and told him. That is why I didn’t want to face them. That is why Uncle Mike had to come out and ask me why I was sitting in my car. “You gonna come in or what, kiddo?” Then, when I slowly looked at him, he saw it. “What happened?”

“Nothing,” I replied with a laugh while getting out of my car. “Just a bit stressed from all the things on my mind.”

“Liar,” he stated, stepping in front of me before I could pass. “You were crying? A boy hurt you?” Bingo.

“No.”

“Liar.”

“Look, I’m not going to have this conversation, okay? I’m wasting time here and I still need to find a job.” I knew that I sounded like I was covering something up but, hey; I needed him to drop the subject.

He clapped his hands and stomped his knew, like how those country people do when they say, “Yee doggie!” He was pure hillbilly I tell you. “You got yourself a job, kiddo! My friend owns that little Max Dale’s down by Summerson’s Market! He’s been complaining about how he needs a new waiter!” Max Dale’s just screamed great tips. I mean, I’ve been to a Max Dale’s before and it was packed! There were people crowding the bar to watch the sports but there were also people desperate at getting a table. It was the perfect job!

“You think I can head over there tomorrow,” I asked. There was no way in hell that I was still going to get a job at Mason’s dad’s place. There was a bigger chance that’d I see him there and I really didn’t want that. I didn’t want any contact with Mason. And I’m pretty sure that their place doesn’t even pay well enough.

“Of course,” he stepped in front of me again. “But you’ll have to tell me why you were crying.”

I wanted to be as vague. “A boy… hurt my feelings a bit.” Nice one. I sounded like a little kid when I said, “A boy hurt my feelings.” But, as always, the parent will push to find out who this little boy was.

“Who was it,” he asked, leaning onto one foot. Good, if he was getting tired of it then we would move on and forget about it. “We’ll stand here all night it we have to. Don’t worry, the kiddos asleep for the time being.” Never mind.