Part Eight - The goodbyes

We are separated and ushered into luxurious rooms to say our goodbyes, little do these people know is that no one will come to say goodbye to us. Our family and friends will probably expect we’re dead until a few moments ago where we both magically appeared like ghosts, thinking of us as ghosts sends shivers down my spine, knowing that at least one of us maybe even both of us will be that ghost I visualised. I sit on the velvet carpet in front of me, putting my face in my hands and try to calm my breathing down to normal, my brain replays the determined yet devastated look on Cato’s face as he makes his way to volunteer. Suddenly the door opens and I jump to my feet, in both shock and to possibly have to defend myself, a sobbing girl comes rushing in and embraces me, Astria. Her ginger hair covers my face but I don’t dare ruin this moment, probably our last moment, I hug her back, trying to be strong but I can feel tears, for the second time this morning. Was it really just this morning that I was lying peacefully next to Cato in the silence of the woods, with only Cato’s soft breathing as noise? Outside I hear a woman screaming, screaming out Cato’s name, it must be his mother, for some reason I have a newly found hatred for her, then I remember it was her that was the reason that my dad stopped me from seeing Cato in the beginning. My heart sinks as I remember my Dad but I try to focus on my best friend.

“I’ve missed you so much and then when you finally return you leave me again.” She sobs, I don’t have a response to this, nothing at all. I just want to be close to Cato, I feel horrible for thinking this. We break away, I stutter for an answer but nothing comes, I just hope she takes it as me being too upset to answer her.

“Promise me you’ll come back, I mean you’re so amazing with knives. I bet you that Cato will sacrifice his life for you, I hate how in love you two are, I’m so jealous.” She continues, holding my hand she pulls me to the velvet sofa where I just stood up from. Again there is no answer from me, I bow my head in shame, say something, I tell myself.

“I’m going to miss you so much Astria, I’m sorry I left you.” Slightly pleased with that answer I concentrate on what she said. “I bet Cato will sacrifice his life for you” alarm bells start to ring loudly. I can’t let him do that, there would be no point in my life, I could’ve even live with myself if he did, I’m the one that’s going to sacrifice their life, me not him.

Suddenly the door opens again and a peacekeeper nods at us and Astria looks at me once more before she pulls herself upwards and leaves, but not without doing one last thing. Kissing her three finger she raises them in the air before the door is closed shut. The peacekeeper still stands there and I start to feel slightly uncomfortable, they walks towards me, I freeze seeing the whip in his left hand, when he reaches me he hugs me. I hear a slight sob under their white wears and the peacekeeper adjusts their helmet before taking it off completely revealing his face. Dad’s face.

“You stupid stupid girl. I’m so disappointed in you for leaving but I am going to put that behind me for now, as I may never see you again Clove.” My dad wasn’t always the most tactile person. “Don’t let your love for that boy of your’s make you lose your life” he orders me, his peacekeeper nature showing, although peacekeepers aren’t allowed to have children when they’re on duty, I managed to come along, I don’t dare think how. How do I respond to him? I can’t lie to him, the last thing I say to him a lie, no, I couldn’t., I’m not going to change my mind either, Cato lives.  With a sigh my father leaves, the time hasn’t even finished but he has, that’s how much love he has for his own daughter, it makes me glad I met Cato and we ran away.

There’s a loud knock on the other side of the wall, that’s where Cato must be, I wish hard that the wall will come down but obviously it stays upright. A few more thuds follow and I worry for his safety but I am unable to help. Without warning a fist flies through the wall,obviously the wall must be plaster not brick or the fist would've broken his hand badly trying to reach me. His hand covering in blood, I know automatically whose it is and I rush over to the hand.

“Clove?” Cato whispers through the hole , taking his hand out and peeking his eye through.

“Yes, I’m here” I reply, I see his eyes are dry, no tears have fallen. He is so strong, mentally, physically and emotionally and I feel like he is my guardian as well as my love.

“A few more minutes and we’ll be back together” he says, eyes lighting up a bit. He stands up straight and puts his hands back through and I hold it in mine, he pulls my hand over to his side, kissing every finger.

*~*~*~*~*~

Please VOTE

Please COMMENT

Please ADD TO YOUR LIBRARY

THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING :*

A/N

Gah I love Clato. If you have any ideas for what can happen in the arena either comment or message me because i'd love your input. Update coming soon, this time a longer one I promise.

Clove's father being featured (yes a fancy word ;) )

soapybubbles