~ Part 10 ~Aiden ~

Despite the sun peeking over the horizon, a cold numbness crept over him. Aiden never wanted to feel so alone and full of regrets, the guilt and grief eating at him. Not again. Especially not now, just when he'd pulled his life together.

He hadn't saved their baby girl back then, and now, Tiffany didn't even want it. Yet their child only wanted her. His dream of having any sort of relationship with his daughter vanished.

He dragged himself into the shower, the hot water beating down as he leaned against the cold tiles, head bowed, his tears mixing into the water.

Men never cry.

That lesson had been drilled into Aiden's consciousness until he wanted to scream. He'd spent most of his early life learning to shutter his emotions.

He avoided the mirror as he dressed, finally leaving his apartment in a rush. Time had drifted by and now he was late for work.

The short journey to the hospital rushed by in a blur as did the thoughts about where he'd gone wrong. The break up with Tiffany, the stupid fights, and how he hadn't invested in any relationship since.

"You're late, Dr. Hamilton." Dana tapped her watch as he checked in at the front desk twenty minutes later. "You'll make it up at the end of your shift."

"Five minutes, but fine, whatever," he said under his breath.

"You'll still make it up, doctor." Dana narrowed her eyes, then stalked toward the elevators.

Aiden adjusted his lab coat, coming face to face with Emily. He hadn't seen the lovely doctor since his return from Portland.

"You owe me in a big way." Emily rubbed her bleary eyes. "I should have traded three nights for your two."

"Sorry." He selected a tablet and they proceeded toward the exam rooms. "How about I treat you to dinner? That play you were talking about is in town."

"Trying to wriggle out of those night shifts?" Emily eyed him. "Won't work, Aiden. You owe me"—she held her fingers in front of his face—"two shifts. No renegotiations. Besides, the play sold out weeks ago. Good luck getting tickets."

"I bet a few are available." Aiden forced a cheerful smile. Exhaustion blurred the edges of his consciousness, allowing him the courage to step over the friendship line without considering the consequences. "Saturday night?"

"Is this an invitation to hang out?" she whispered as they reached the exam room. "Or a date?"

"No pizza or beer." His lips twitched. "I'll make reservations somewhere nice."

"Stop it." She wagged a finger. "Those charming little smiles only go so far. And what about Tara?"

"Tara can't come." He winked. "You'll have to ask her out another time."

She arched a brow, a smile flickering across her features.

"It's a simple question with a simple answer. If you say no, I won't bother you again."

Emily tilted her head, tapping her pursed lips. "So a cocktail dress for dinner?"

"Perfect. Pick you up at your place around six-thirty?"

"Dinner would be lovely. It's a date." She graced him with a radiant smile before strolling down the hall, the gentle sway of her hips drawing his attention.

Tara appeared beside him. "Quit flirting and peel your eyes from her ass. The women around here demand respect."

"The patient in Exam 3 needs an IV."