~ Part 11 ~ Savannah~

A week later, Savannah still hadn't gathered the courage to call Aiden. Every time Leanne brought it up, she changed to a new topic, not wanting to admit her own cowardice.

"How was school?" Her dad peered over the top of his paper as she let herself into the house.

"Good. I'm making a snack before I do my homework." She fluttered her fingers and dropped her backpack in her room before heading into the kitchen. The card stuck to the fridge taunted her as she poured a cold drink, fixed a plate of fruit and cheese, and shut herself in her room. The pile of homework kept her busy until dinner.

Her dad cast glances across the table during their silent meal. "You want to talk about it?"

Savannah shrugged, pushing the last of her mashed potatoes around her plate. "I told Leanne about Aiden."

"Oh?"

Tears pricked at her eyes. "I promised I'd call him, but how can I?"

Ross reached out to capture her hand. "Is that what's bothering you? You want to talk to Aiden?"

She hung her head, squishing her potatoes and inspecting the pattern left from the tines of her fork.

"Call him. If you want to see him, I'll fly you to Chicago."

She lifted her chin. "You will?"

"This is a difficult situation, and it's no secret I wished you'd never pursued it. Now you've involved Aiden." Her dad shrugged. "I like him. It's best you get to know him. You've had these burning questions about who would give up a child and some notions about why. Maybe this will set your mind at peace."

Her lips tugged downward. How would she make amends? Would Aiden even speak to her?

"He told me you should contact him when you're ready."

Savannah's frown deepened.

"You've been beating yourself up about how it all unfolded, but don't. He understands how hard it was for you to hear and he sure didn't want to be saying it. Don't discount how difficult that was for him, and remember, it changes nothing. You are and always will be his child. It wasn't his choice to walk away. Not when you were born, and not after his last visit. Don't back out now. I'm certain you'd regret it."

It was humbling to realize as hard as this was, her dad supported her, giving her the freedom and support to pursue the answers. Perhaps this call wouldn't be so bad, and she owed it to Aiden to make the effort. She had dragged him into the middle of her own personal drama without warning.

Her mind remained occupied for the rest of the evening, and finally, she summoned the courage to snatch the card off the fridge and take it to her room. With damp palms and a pounding heart, she dialed the number. When his voice mail answered, she choked up, unable to leave a message. After pacing back and forth several times, she redialed.

This time he answered on the first ring. "Savannah?"

"Do you have time to talk?"

"Everything okay?"

"Umm ... are you sure it's okay I called? It's late, sorry."

"I'm glad you did."

"I'm sorry about my behavior on your last visit." She sucked in an audible breath. "I'm disappointed and angry because my mother doesn't want me but it was wrong to yell at you," she said as she sank onto her bed.

"I'm sorry too. You went through all of that, and you didn't get what you wanted."

"I shouldn't have blamed you. It's not your fault. I'll never know my mother, will I?"