~ Savannah ~

Savannah sprawled across her bed, capturing her thoughts on Chicago in the battered notebook she carried everywhere. Today, she'd spent the entire time writing about Aiden while debating how to broach the subject with her dad.

Her fingertips brushed the black beanie hiding under her pillow. She pulled it out and traced the lettering. Just by looking at it and touching the soft wool, she could tell it was expensive, yet he had placed it on her head without a second thought and never reclaimed it. "Aiden Hamilton." The sound of his name made her smile. The rattle of her door handle made her jump, and she'd only crammed the hat under her pillow when her door opened.

Her dad peeked into her room, looking hopeful. "You've been cooped up all weekend. Why don't we go for pizza?"

"Yum." She closed her notebook and tucked it into her bag. "Let me change." Savannah motioned to her worn sweatpants.

"I'll warm up the car. Five minutes?" He ruffled a hand through the thick hair that had changed from salt and pepper to gray since his beloved Jayde had died.

"Okay, Daddy." As soon as her door closed, Savannah dragged a brush through the tangled mess of hair and changed into dark wash jeans along with a faded pink sweater. With a sigh, she peered at the dark circles under her eyes, taking a moment to dab on a light covering of foundation before checking her bag to ensure the business card was tucked safely inside.

After a deep calming breath, she slung her bag across her shoulders and headed out the front door.

As soon as she was buckled into the passenger seat, her dad backed out of the driveway onto the quiet tree-lined street. "Everything good?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"You've been quiet since you got home. That's to be expected, as I'm sure the accident was quite the ordeal. I'm thankful they located all the students and chaperones and everyone is coming home safely." Her dad drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. The familiar sound comforted her. "Is Leanne back yet?"

"Tomorrow." Savannah had reluctantly said goodbye to her friend before she flew home to Portland, but at least Aiden had provided Leanne some company. Though she wasn't supposed to know, Leanne's parents had been stressing over gathering funds for the flight. They'd pulled the funds together somehow, and Leanne's mom was now in Chicago.

Half an hour later, they pulled into the parking lot of their favorite little pizzeria. Savannah closed her eyes and inhaled the fragrant aroma of homemade tomato sauce and fresh-baked ciabatta. She loved the cozy and welcoming atmosphere. It always reminded her of better times. Before her mom died, they would eat here at least once per month. Tonight, as like many nights before, they settled into one of the booths and ordered their favorite home-style pizza.

Her dad gave her a long searching look before resting his chin on his folded hands. "The school has arranged counseling. Maybe you should talk to someone? You haven't been eating much, and you've holed up in your room."

Savannah smoothed her napkin in her lap before peering at him across the table. "Daddy? I do need to talk about something. It's kind of a big deal."

Concern reflected in his eyes. "What's wrong, Savannah?"

"I met someone unexpected." She focused on her hands.

"A boy? Is that where you kept disappearing to? Chasing boys wasn't the point of the trip."

"It's nothing like that." She gave a small shake of her head. "Remember the picture Mom left me in her letter?"

"How could I forget?" Her dad sighed. "I loved your mother with all my heart, but I wish she hadn't encouraged that nonsense." The ever-present gold watch on her wrist seemed to have caught his attention. After a moment, he lifted his gaze to meet hers. "The adoption records were sealed for a reason. No good can come from you pining for the woman who gave you up. It's unlikely you'll ever find her."