[prologue]

You cannot change something when it has reached its final stage of production.

That's what I kept telling myself, kept telling them. But they didn't care. They only wanted what was best for them, not what was best for me. I was just their puppet who accepted anything. At first I thought it would make me superior, not into the monster that I am. I was the only experiment that went towards plan. They couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. Only a day ago I was on the streets, practically dead. Now, I was to become superior.

If only the plan had stayed on track.

The machine went into a haywire and sparks flew through the cords, colliding into my body. I tried to stop it... I tried to rip the attachments from my body, yet it was no use. They clung on like leeches; not sucking the blood out of my body but my very dear life. The scientists stood in horror yet still watched with marvelled eyes. Not one of them decided to reach across to the computer and try and prevent the pain.

I died that day, and was born into a new life. A new life that sent me into hierarchy among a normal society. With one touch, I could make horror unfold. I erupted into rage and broke the chamber, staring each one of them into their eyes. I unleashed the full fury of my power and they were dead within minutes. Each one of them...

"So how could you possibly expect me to help you save the world? I will do nothing but harm it. My power is uncontrollable."

Nick Fury stared back at me, his expression not changing once since I blabbered out my story to him. He sat in my plush chair and cleared his throat before standing up, "The Avengers can help you-"

"Nobody can help me," I snapped, making my fingers cause a bolt of electricity to run up my arm. I soothed myself down and sighed before resting my head against the back of the chair, "I'm a lost cause."

He nodded and began to walk towards the exit, which made me follow on after him. I opened the door for his exit and he bit his lip, "Well, Celeste, if you change your mind, we're always accepting new recruits-"

I laughed as he pushed a card into my palm and I placed it on a nearby table. I shook my head as I slipped my hands into my jeans pockets, "I'll give you a call when I go crazy." I joked, "Good luck saving the world." I chuckled once more before shutting the door in his face.