Chapter 14

Chapter 14

       "Dax?" I asked as we walked towards the cafeteria. "On a scale of one to ten, how much does Seb hate me?"

       Dax took in a deep breath. "That depends."

       "On what?"

       "If you count anger as hate," Dax said. "I don't think he hates you, but he's really mad at you. He wants what's best for you and he just thinks that Ty isn't."

       I sighed. "I've been thinking that, too."

       Dax furrowed his eyebrows. "Can you expand on that? Because I'm awfully confused right now."

       "Well, recently, I've been thinking that Ty isn't the one for me," I admitted.

       "Then why are you still with him?" Dax said. "I mean, I don't want to sound like Seb, but shouldn't you break up with him?"

       "I don't know," I said. "I still like him, but at the same time, I feel like I'll never be fully happy with him. I don't know, it's hard to explain."

       When we got to the cafeteria, Dax scanned the place. We normally walked there together, but for the past two weeks after Seb and I got into the argument, we split up and he sat with Seb while I sat with Ty.

       Dax frowned. "I don't see Seb. He's always here before me."

       I looked around the cafeteria as well. "I don't see Ty as well. I'm going to look for him."

       "And I'll look for Seb," Dax said. "I'll see you later."

       We then went our separate ways since Ty and Seb's lockers were in different wings of the school. I went to Ty's locker, but he wasn't there, so I began walking around the school until I found him. He was in a deserted hallway, his back facing towards me. He was also on his phone and as much I didn't want to eavesdrop on his conversation, I kind of did.

       "No, tonight works," Ty said. "I've got nothing planned... I'm serious, I don't... Look, if this is about Artemis, don't worry about her." I frowned at the sound of my name. "What, you actually think I like her? Please. You should see Sebastian's face whenever I'm with her. His reaction is the only reason why I'm dating her. I never liked her as more than a friend."

       "Really?" I spoke up, making Ty quickly turn around and turn off his phone.

       "Artemis!" he said. "Uh, how much did you hear?"

       "Enough," I said, my heart stinging. "So this whole time, you never liked me? You were just using me to piss off Seb?"

       "No, of course not," Ty said. "I really do like you, Artemis."

       "Save it," I said. "I heard what you said. You said the only reason why you're dating me is to see Seb's reaction. How could you, Ty? How could you use me?"

       "Artemis, just let me explain," Ty said. "Please."

       "I don't want to hear it!" I said. "This whole time, Seb was right about you. I... Just... Don't talk to me again."

       I turned around to leave, but Ty quickly grabbed my wrist. "No, I'm not letting you leave until you let me explain!"

       "There's nothing to explain!" I said, facing him. "Now let go!"

       "There is something to explain!" Ty said, his grip on my wrist tightening, almost crushing me.

       "No, there isn't!" I said. "Just let go! You're hurting me!"