Chapter Twenty-Two: Equally Matched.

“Tell me why… why don’t you just give up? You keep trying to save Rukia again and again.”

“You’re her brother, aren’t you? So the question that needs to be asked is why the hell aren’t you trying to save her?!”

“Such a foolish question,” Byakuya replied, shutting his eyes. “Even if I did have time to try and explain the principles of it to you, someone like you would never understand it. It seems talking serves no purpose,” he added, glaring at Ichigo. “Prepare to die.”

I was literally blown away by the strength of the spiritual pressure Byakuya released. I felt a tight and suffocating sensation make its way into my lungs. Staring up at them from the ground ten meters away, I watched as Ichigo knocked Byakuya’s sword away from his until they were brought back together again, creating a massive explosion. I covered my eyes from all of the dirt that flew up into the air and held my breath, to try and not inhale the dust. That’s when I felt two hands close around my waist, and I was no longer watching the two of them battle it out, but standing in between the Captains of Squad 13 and 8.

“It’s best you stay away from there for now,” Shunsui advised, putting a hand on my shoulder. “You don’t want to get caught up in the fight.”

“Even now, I’m involved,” I said, watching as Ichigo and Byakuya started talking. “As long as Ichigo has something to do with it, then I always will be.” I sat down on the top step of the Sokyoku’s stand, awaiting my pain-filled future. Ichigo pulled off the Shihōin cloak and tossed it aside. They ran after each other, flashstepping at such high speeds it was hard for me to follow their movements. I started feeling dizzy.

“Isane!” Kiyone started running to her sister’s aid. Whatever Ichigo did to knock her out might’ve been too much for her body to take.

“Kiyone, wait—“ Before Sentaro could even finish his sentence, he was thrown up into the air, landing on his head. She froze, and turned around.

“Hold it, Soifon!”

“Soifon, no!” I jumped up from the stairs in the desperate attempt to save Kiyone. But along with Captain Ukitake, I was stopped by a cane. I couldn’t hold back my surprise.

“Head Captain Yamamoto—“”No one move!” he shouted, cutting me off. The strength in his voice made me freeze. “This crime, in attempting to free a convicted criminal, leading in her escape, will be solved by capturing the treasonous officers and putting them to death. Thus, their fate is sealed. But that is the least of our problems. What you two Captains have done here today is a crime of far greater magnitude! Surely, you both understand that your actions are unforgivable?”

“You’re in danger!” “Kiyone, stay back!” He shook his head at her. If she had gone any further than that, I can’t even imagine what the Head Captain would’ve done to her.

“Well, I guess we’ve got no choice; are you ready, Jushiro?” Shunsui was grinning. “It looks like we’re going to have to make a run for it.” Along with Nanao, the two of them disappeared off of the side of the Hill. I had to do something to buy them some time to get away! And I’ve got just the thing!

“Head Captain—“”You dare speak as though you still claim asylum? What a foolish thought. Surely you understand that you will not go unpunished?”

“I do understand, Sir, which is why I shall speak my mind while I am still alive! The authorization of the use of the Sokyoku on Rukia Kuchiki was completely illegitimate! She isn’t a Captain, let alone a ranked officer! There is something else that is happening here, and I don’t think Central 46 is in control of it!