8 - Stay Or Ditch?

Evan

The dismissal bell rang. Finally, I thought. I've been anticipating all day for this moment to talk to her again. There seemed to be this unknown sensation bubbling inside me every time I talked to her. Wait, so you think I'm in love? Hell no. I don't think so. At least that's what I think.

We all quickly slipped out of the classroom. CJ was already outside chatting alongside her friends. I noticed Trevor was also with her. Seriously? That little shit. I waited patiently until a throng of girls slowly passed by.

"Hey, I'll see you guys later." I whispered to Lance.

Seth raised an eyebrow. "Where you going, dude? Practice starts in fifteen minutes."

"Don't worry, I'll be there."

"Well, hurry up and get your ass over there, you know how Coach Jenner is." Lance shouted over his shoulder and they all disappeared around the corner.

"No shit." I mumbled under my breath. Like I actually care?

Coach Jenner is, okay, how do I say this? Well, let's just say he's a great coach. Great, meaning he's one hell of a coach. He's everyone's favorite nightmare and your least favorite person. One time Seth Corleone was late for practice because he was far too busy making out with his girlfriend, Becca, to notice the time. Somehow Coach found out and everybody had to suffer the consequences. The old sucker made us run fifty laps around the track. But, the man had been a Coach for twenty years. You gotta hand it to him, he was the best of the best. No doubt, he was BV high's pride.

I jogged over where CJ was at. Sofie and Trish just looked at me all wide eyed, clutching their textbooks to their chest. They looked so cute with those deer in the headlights look. Like they've never seen me approach them before?

Wait, I think I never did? No wonder.

Trevor, on the other hand, stood quietly behind CJ, his eyes well-guarded on me. Now I was contemplating if I should ask her in front of Trevor, or maybe in private?

Hell, I'll ask her in front of him. That way, I'll find out what's the real deal between them.

CJ rolled her eyes irritatingly. "What do you want, von Detten?"

"Woah, Ms. Sourpuss." I joked. Embarrassing heat quickly washed up my neck. She really does hate me.

The girls giggled in response. Probably fascinated by my charm.

"Just here to remind you about our date," I said. Trevor suddenly coughed, but I shot him a glare in return. My eyes shifted back to CJ, carefully gauging her reaction. "I'll pick you up at seven?"

"I'll catch you guys later." Trevor excused himself, interrupting me again for the second time.

I slipped my hands inside my pockets. "So, pick you up at seven?"

She shook her head. "No, we'll just meet up at the restaurant."

"And why is that?" I asked curiously. "I have a car. I can pick you up—"

"Do you want a date or not?" She hissed.

I placed both my hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay, it's your call! I'll see you then? Hopefully?"

"Yeah, whatever." She said dully before leaving me by myself in the hallway.

*

"von Detten! Where the hell were you?" Coach Jenner growled. "You're ten minutes late!"

"Sorry, Coach. Had to fix some important matters."