Chapter 4

The following morning Matt woke up to a flurry of messages from strangers. Still wearing the previous day's clothes, he got up and made breakfast. His phone continued to buzz, and after a quick glance he realised they were mostly spam accounts, and tried his best to ignore the looping beeps. Eventually he felt gross enough to get into a new set of clothes, throwing the old ones into a laundry basket. He bounced into his bathroom and shook his curls to make sure they were suitably fluffy.
There was a knock at the door, and Matt worked out who was responsible just before he opened it.
"Whoa." Matt exclaimed, taking a moment to take in the dishevelled and hungover appearance of Emma.
"Do i really look that bad?" Emma gasped, her throat audibly wrecked.
"Nothing I can't fix." Matt told her sympathetically, jerking his head to signify she should come inside. He pointed her towards the bathroom and she sat on the edge of the bath. Matt grabbed a gown from his spare cabinet and pulled out a makeup kit from under the bathroom sink. He turned the shower head on and let it heat up. He threw the gown around her and she smiled.
"You look as bad as I feel." Matt told her awkwardly as he waited for the water to get to temperature. His phone continued to go off.
"Yet youre so popular?" Emma noted, smirking slightly.
"Ah, yeah," Matt sighed, before leaning her back slightly and pouring the water over her hair, "I caved an downloaded one of those dating apps," he paused to grab a bottle of shampoo from his cabinet, "or at least I think I did."
"Aw Kurlzz," Emma choked with a smile, "you don't need that to find someone."
"Probably not," Matt admitted, washing the suds from her head, "but it can't hurt, right?"
"I guess," she replied, as Matt grabbed her a towel and gave it to her, before plugging in a hairdryer, "but be careful Busek."
After drying her hair, Matt brushed it and made it look presentable once more. He gave her a natural looking makeover, and after an approving look from Emma, led her out of the bathroom.
"Thank you for this." Emma smiled, her voice still damaged.
"Hold on for a moment," Matt said suddenly, before diving into the kitchen and grabbing a packet of throat sweets and handing them to his employee, "here, for the voice."
"I don't know how to thank you." Emma croaked, throwing one into her mouth.
"Save me five dollars and give me a ride to work and back?" Matt asked with a chuckle, turning his phone to airplane mode and putting it into his pocket.
"Sure thing." Emma smiled.

Once at the salon, Matt took his place behind the counter and looked at the schedule.
"Ah fuck." Matt groaned.
"What's up?" Emma asked from the back room.
"Marie has another set of highlights today at 2." Matt croaked, glancing at the shelves of colours.
"You want me to take it?" Emma offered.
"You know what to do?" Matt asked skeptically.
"Both my parents are in the fashion industry," Emma smiled, "I think I have it down."
Two o'clock rolled around and the 45 year old stepped into the salon, her nose turned up as it always was.
"Hello Marie." Matt smiled, sticking a comb into his hair as he finished putting the cash from the last client into the register.
"Hello Matthew." She smiled.
"Emma's going to be doing your highlights today." Matt told her, his smile still stapled onto his face.
"Oh, alright then." She said, slightly surprised.
As Emma led her into a back room where the colours were all set up, a girl pushed open the door. She was shorter than Matt, with emerald eyes, and was slightly heavier set. Her lips were naturally full, with a blue ring through her lower lip in the middle, and her curly hair was tied back, revealing small tunnels in her earlobes. She was wearing a blue off-shoulder top with a brown satchel hanging from her bare shoulder. She had a pair of tight, ripped, navy jeans on, and black Vans.
"H-hi." Matt stammered, taken aback by her natural beauty.
"Hey," she smiled, avoiding Matt's eyes, "are you Matt Busek?"
"The only one I know of." Matt replied, before he realised he missed the first part of the comment.
"I'm Saint," she told him, "I was told you're good with curly hair."
She looked up and Matt followed her eyes to his own hair.
"I'm not bad with it." He laughed modestly.
He led her towards a chair and grabbed her a gown. She pulled the scrunchy from her hair, and it fell into a tight lump.
"So what were we thinking?" Matt asked, leaning on the back of her chair.
"Can you get it to, like, flow downwards? But keep the curls." Saint asked him, and he smiled.
"Not a problem." He said confidently.

Half an hour later, Saint was running her hand through the smooth curls that ran down the side of her face.
"Wow," she murmured, looking at Kurlzz's proud expression in the mirror, "well now I know who does your hair."
Matt chuckled, taking the gown off of her and leading her to the register.
"Well, whoever told you about me is a very good friend," Matt smiled, "tell them they get a discount."
"Will do," Saint smiled, "how much do I owe you?"
"First time customers pay half price," Matt explained, "so that'll be four-fifty."
"Nine dollars For all that work?" Saint exclaimed, handing over five bills and taking the fifty cent change.
"Why overcharge for something I'm good at?" Matt smirked.
"Well, I'll be sure to come back here next time I need something." She smiled.
"We also do makeup, waxing, colours, all that jazz." Matt told her, handing over a small card with contact details and prices on it.
"Is this your number?" Saint asked.
"Yeah." Matt blushed.
"And you do all of this yourself?" She gestured at the card.
"Well, Emma does some clients." Matt admitted with a smirk.
"Well if you can do all this styling, your girlfriend is very lucky." Saint smiled, before saying goodbye with a wave as she left.