Chapter 3

"How's the new apartment then?"
The guys were sat in Jorel and Vanessa's lounge, with Matt playing against Jorel on the Xbox.
"The heating was busted for a while," Jorel replied, narrowly avoiding a hail of bullets, "but we got it fixed pretty quick."
Matt rounded the corner and took a shotgun shell to the chest.
"Good to hear," Matt said, grabbing a bottle from George's hand, "any noisy neighbours?"
"Let's face it Kurlzz," Dylan laughed, Danny's head in his lap, "this hombre and his señorita are gonna be the noisy ones."
The six of them laughed, and Vanessa entered the room clutching takeout.
"What's so funny?" She asked, pecking Jorel on the lips as she passed out the food.
"You and Jorel having noisy sex." George laughed. Vanessa smirked, before shoving George slightly.
"How's the married life?" Danny asked George, as he stuffed a chicken nugget into his mouth.
"It's great, when my superstar stays home for more than an hour." George replied jokingly.
"My tours are over for the year," Jordon piped up, "I'm all yours for six months now."
"You better be." George smirked, pecking his husband on the lips.
"How about you Dylan? How's life with Danny going so far?" Jordon asked, stealing from George's carton of spaghetti.
"It's going amazingly," Danny sang, nuzzling into Dylan some more, "I couldn't be happier."
Matt pretended to be disgusted as they kissed deeply, causing a laugh to ripple around the room. Jorel took this moment to shoot Matt again.
"So how about you Kurly? How's your love life?" Vanessa asked.
Matt threw a grenade at Jorel before answering.
"It's dormant." He smiled, running frantically from the barrage of gunfire.
"Things didn't spark with Emma then?" George said mischievously.
"Wh-What?" Matt stammered, before taking a final shot to the face and flipping off Jorel as he did a small victory dance.
"We all saw you dancing with her at the party," Jordon smiled, "well, except Danny but he was too busy dancing on Dylan's lap."
A laugh erupted from everyone but Danny, who smiled awkwardly.
"Just as colleagues," Matt defended, "neither of us enjoyed it."
Jordon looked knowingly at George, who suppressed a giggle.
"What's so funny?" Matt asked.
"Nothing, nothing," George stammered, "I'm pretty sure she already has a boyfriend anyway."
"Oh, well then obviously you know we aren't together." Matt smiled.
"No but that doesn't mean you don't like her." Jorel pointed out.
"I don't," Matt said honestly, "she's someone I know and work with-"
"And get morning coffee with." Dylan smiled.
"One time-"
"On a Saturday morning." Jorel pointed out.
Matt groaned, pulling his beanie down over his eyes.
"I don't like her, okay?" He croaked, flopping against the floor.
"Okay Kurlzz," Vanessa murmured, "we believe you."
Matt grunted in appreciation, before looking at his phone.
"I should be going." He announced glumly.
"Oh, okay." Jordon said, sitting up from George's lap.
"Are you okay homie?" Dylan purred.
"Yeah, no, I'm fine." Matt said dismissively, standing up and making his way towards the door.
"Okay," Danny murmured, "we were just joking around."
"Yeah I know, I have stuff to do at home." Matt lied, walking out towards his board. Once out on the street he pushed off strongly, and glided down the sidewalk, weaving in and out of the other pedestrians. He wiped a tear from his eye, before reminding himself they hadn't done anything to hurt him on purpose. He made it to the Starbucks where he and Emma had gone three days ago, and looked in at the seat.
"Hey there Busek."
Matt turned to see Emma walking towards him, holding a clutch bag and wearing a black dress.
"Hey Emma." Matt replied glumly.
"Thought you would've been with the guys tonight." She quizzed, pulling a cigarette out of her bag and lighting it.
"Yeah I had to leave early," Matt told her, "got some stuff to do at home."
"Well, are you too busy to walk a girl to her car?" She asked, blowing smoke into the air above Matt.
"I guess not." He told her, stepping on the tail of his board and carrying it as she led him towards the drop top.
"So, what stuff have you gotta do?" She asked.
"I suspect it'll involve a tub of ice cream and sad films." He told her honestly.
"That bad huh?" she asked, "well I'll be with you in spirit."
"How comes?" Matt asked, readjusting his beanie nervously.
"Shitty date." Emma replied.
"I did wonder why you were all gussied up." Matt smirked.
"Yeah it's not really my style is it?" She laughed.
"So was this guy a bust or?" Matt asked, worried he was being too nosy.
"I'd been seeing him for a while," Emma revealed, "but tonight I just felt like he was a bit off." She stopped to take a drag.
"And?" Matt asked.
"Turns out he'd been banging my cousin." She spat, sighing deeply.
"Oh shit." Matt said bluntly, unsure of how to respond.
"Yeah, so I broke it off with him and walked out," she stopped walking, "well I'm parked here, if you want a ride back to your place I can take you."
"thank you but I'm gonna have to decline," Matt scrambled to think of an excuse, "I need to be alone for a while."
"Okay then," Emma smiled, throwing her cigarette onto the ground, "stay safe Matt."
She hopped into the car and peeled off quickly. Matt mentally swore at himself for being so awkward, before pushing off and rolling down the hill towards his apartment.
Once home he flopped onto his couch and found the stupidest film on TV, before grabbing the ice cream from his fridge and curling up against the pillows.
About halfway through the movie, Matt pulled out his phone, and scrolled through his Facebook feed, before an advertisement for a dating app came up.
Slightly drunk, and very lonely, Matt hit download.