Far from relaxation

Chapter 4: Far from Relaxation

"How did you do that?" I asked Tyler. We were back at our table with one plate of fries in front of us. He hadn't touched them and I only grabbed one, still holding it, twirling it around in my fingers like a tiny baton. I had to focus on this instead of Tyler, who had been deathly focused on me since he made me sit back down.

It was already too late to not make a scene; everybody heard us silently have a scene in the hallway and was now looking at us. I wished I could tell them that I was kidnapped and I was afraid he would really hurt me. I was so afraid of Tyler that I wanted to cry again and I would say that I wouldn't give him that satisfaction, but, he seemed to hurt as much as me at the thought of me bursting into tears.

Tyler, sipping his coffee, gave me a confused look. "Drink my coffee?" He asked, pretending he had totally forgotten what had just happened. Or maybe he really didn't know. Maybe Tyler had some psychological problem. That worried me.

I reframed from laughing at his question and leaned a bit closer to him. "You made the phone go dead!" I hissed, hoping no one heard, but, did it matter if they did hear? Tyler looked down and I knew he wanted to avoid this, but we both knew he couldn't. I wouldn't let this go. If I wasn't scared of him, he had no power and I wished I had enough strength to not be scared of him.

"Hmm-mmm." He shook his head, closing his eyes. "Complete coincidence." He murmured. Of course, I didn't believe him. I ate a fry, realizing how hungry I really was and ate more. Of course, I smothered my fries in ketchup. "Jeez, you want some fries with that ketchup?" Tyler grinned and I smothered a smile, looking down. Why was I smiling?! I was supposed to be hating him!

"That was not a coincidence!" I said, trying to keep him from changing the subject. I needed to know what he was hiding and I knew there was a lot that he wasn't telling me. When he looked at me, I lost my breath and I was starting to get annoyed with how dizzy I got when I looked into his eyes.

"It wasn't?" Tyler asked, pretending to be confused as he threw a fry into his mouth.

"You know, you're not such a great liar yourself." I sat back and crossed my arms, refraining from smiling.

Suddenly, Tyler became serious again. "I can be a great liar when I wanna be." He murmured and got closer to me. We looked at each other as if having a silent conversation and, satisfied; he copied me and sat back, crossing his arms.

He could've lied about everything.

There was something especially strange about Tyler. I couldn't figure it out. I was still shaking uncontrollably from fear, but Tyler obviously thought something else.

Tyler suddenly got up and, as he came around the table, I moved away from him. What was he doing?

Tyler stood next to my seat and took off his jacket. Leaning towards me as I backed away more, he threw his jacket around me and I held my breath in fear of wanting to pull him to me when I caught the scent of his amazing neck and chest, which came dangerously close to me as he put his coat around me. He pulled it tight and snug around me and, when I didn't know what to do with my hands, I hugged them close to me and clenched my fists in fear of moving.

I didn't take off his warm, comfortable jacket because, frankly, I was too scared of what Tyler would do if I did.

Tyler sat back in his seat slowly, as if making sure I didn't have a major freak out. His eyes were so.....concentrated on me.

"You're not going to tell me?" I asked and he leaned forward, resting the palms of his hands carefully on the table. He looked down at his fingers for a split second, focused on his thoughts.