A Little Suprise

“Dammit!” I yelled in frustration to no one in particular. The fresh cup of coffee I had just brewed before going to work was now on my new, blue silk tie.

“Dammit! And that was my favorite one!” I said angrily and pulled off my tie, now ruined. I looked into my coffee mug, which was now almost empty, and sighed. I was running late, as usual. Procrastinating was a bad habit of mine, and I moved like a zombie in the morning without my coffee. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to make another pot of coffee.

“How the hell did you do that?” Ryan asked as he sipped his own cup of coffee. I mumbled something incoherent and grabbed Ryan’s coffee, taking a long, much needed, gulp.

“Hey! Get your own!” Ryan protested and took his coffee back. I snorted and quickly walked into my bedroom.

“Don’t have time.” I called, quickly grabbing another tie and putting it on in the mirror. I took a brief moment to evaluate my appearance in the mirror.

My short chestnut brown hair was styled messily on top of my head. I absently ran my fingers through it, a habit I had never grown out of. I had shaved last night, so my stubble was barely noticeable. I fixed my tie so it was straight and professional, and slightly adjusted my black leather belt. I glanced at my eyes, which had large dark circles under them from lack of sleep. They were still the same shade of blue, dark and deep like sapphires, but somehow they looked brighter than usual.

I looked away and grabbed my bag, reminding myself that I had to be in the classroom before my students. I was just about to open the door when Ryan called to me.

“Have a good day now buddy, and remember, don’t have any improper thoughts about those little girls now.” He winked suggestively when he said the word improper. I would usually respond to Ryan’s teases with sarcasm or humor, but this time he was actually being serious.

“I’ll try.” I mumbled and slammed the door shut, still hearing Ryan’s laughter after it was closed.

By the time I had gotten to the high school, most of the students and faculty were almost there. I swore under my breath, stupid coffee, stupid tie, and stupid traffic, all of those setbacks, combined with my procrastination, were gonna make me seriously late. I practically ran through the front doors of the school, annoyed that my classroom had to be at the complete other end of the school.

Students gave me curious looks as I ran down the hallways, which you technically weren’t supposed to do. Since I was a teacher though, I considered myself to be above the rules. I was going full speed, and since I used to be an athlete, I was good enough to dodge all of the obstacles (students) that were in my way. I almost made it into my classroom before some girl randomly walked in front of me, the impact from my sprinting causing both of us to fall on the ground.

“Crap, I’m sorry.” I stumbled in apology, getting up to see which unlucky student had gotten hit by my stupidity. I knew it would be her before I saw her turquoise blue eyes give me an icy glare. I froze, stunned by both her beauty and cruel expression. She continued to glare at me for another moment before finally pulling her gaze away. I opened my mouth to utter another apology but she was already storming away.

I ran my fingers through my hair and let out a dramatic sigh. Guess it was someone’s time of the month. Or, I realized, she’s probably like that all the time. I quickly remembered that I had to be in my classroom in less than a minute.

“Shit!” I cursed under my breath and decided it would be a good idea to speed walk instead of sprint to my classroom.

I burst through the door the second the bell rang, earning me both curious and amused looks from the students who were already sitting in their seats. If I were still a high school student, I would have screamed “Yes!” and fist pumped for not being late, but seeing as I was a teacher, and technically couldn’t get a tardy, I felt embarrassed.