Treacherous Teachings

I drummed my fingers against my desk nervously. In just a few minutes, class would start. I wasn’t really the nervous type of guy; actually I was quite the opposite. Always loud and sometimes even obnoxious, was more my type of personality. I couldn’t help but be nervous at that moment though.

Today was my first day of school, as a teacher that is. I swept my hand through my long, chestnut brown bangs and sighed. I almost felt guilty. I didn’t really want to be a teacher. Dealing with kids wasn’t my thing, but my best friend Ryan convinced me that this would be easy money. I groaned quietly, remembering the day Ryan convinced me to become a teacher.

It was the day of our high school graduation; I had passed with flying colors, while Ryan barely got into the 70’s. We had been best friends ever since middle school, me always being the smart, athletic, more attractive one. Ryan was like my shadow, never as good as me. I almost felt sorry for him, but that never stopped me from beating him at everything. I was naturally competitive, and hated to lose. We were outgoing and immature, normal for high school boys now that I looked back on it.

“We finally did it! We passed high school! Woooo hooo!” Ryan cheered and gave me a big high five.

“To be honest, I’m surprised you even passed. You’re such a dumbass, I thought you were gonna have to repeat senior year!” I teased only half jokingly

“You’re such a jerk, Drew.” He said scowling

“I know.” I smirked

“Yeah, yeah. So do you know what you’re gonna do with the rest of your life?” he asked

“Don’t know, don’t care. With my brains, I can do whatever the hell I want.” I said confidently

“Oh god. You’re not gonna go be a freaking surgeon and leave me behind are you?” Ryan asked in mock horror

“Nah. That would require way too much effort. I want the easiest job possible.” I said walking towards my car slowly.

“Of course. You’ve always been a slacker.”

I snorted, “Yeah, like you should be talking.”

“Shut up. But seriously we have to pick our careers!”

“Since when did you care?” I asked suspiciously

“Since I’m not in high school anymore. Anyway, we have to do something where we can be together.” He said seriously

“Aww, does Ryan have a crush on me?” I smirked

He grinned, “Oh yes, I’ve been in love with you ever since our first sleepover! How could I go on without you?”

We both started cracking up. It took us a few minutes to calm down and stop laughing.

“You’re… too much.” I said chuckling

“I know. But seriously, I can’t live without you! I probably won’t be able to get a job as a janitor. I need you to support me.”

“Ain’t that the truth.” I said in a horrible fake southern accent

Ryan didn’t speak for a minute. He was having on of those rare moments where he was actually trying to use his brain.

“Don’t use your brain too much, you might break it.” I mocked

“I got it!” He suddenly exclaimed

“Holy shit, you actually thought of something.”

“Shut up! I just came up with the best career ever!”

“What?” I asked, genuinely interested

“A teacher!”

“A teacher, seriously? I hate kids, and why would I ever want to go back to school?” I scoffed.

“Hear me out. You could be a high school teacher. Teach English or something for seniors.”

I sighed, “Ryan, what is good about being a teacher?”

“You would get to see hot chicks all day! Duh!”

I rolled my eyes, “You would say that.”

“I’m being serious! Think about it. You would get to see hot girls everyday. All you’d have to do is pretend to teach them some Shakespeare, and you’d get summers off!” Ryan said proudly.

“A teacher, eh? Hmm… maybe you’re right.” I pondered

“If I could do it, I would.”

“You know what Ryan. I think this is the smartest thing you’ve said to me in all of the years I’ve known you. I’m gonna become a teacher.”

I laughed out loud at the memory, we were such ignorant kids. Despite our immatureness, I still managed to go to a good college and get my masters degree for teaching. I was so smart; I finished college in 4 years. I now lived in a small apartment with Ryan. We weren’t gay; he just literally had no money. I scowled, he really wasn’t kidding back then when he said that I would have to support him. I personally didn’t mind, even though Ryan was stupid as hell, he would do anything to help his friends. Especially me.

The clock ticked, signaling that I only had one minute before my first class of the day came in. The nervousness started to creep its way back into my body. My palms got sweaty, and my hands were slightly shaking. Stop it. Look at yourself, pathetic. You are a teacher! You are the boss. Don’t let little 17 and 18 year olds intimidate you, I mentally scolded myself. I let my natural confidence flow throughout me, and the nervousness faded away.

The clock ticked again. Time for class to start.

 Just testing it out. I had to dedicate this to my bestie xxIggyxx aka Emmy because she helped me come up with ALL of the characters. I was inspired to write this by the story A Proscriptive Romance, its a really good student teacher love story. My goal with writing this story was to take a cliche, and spice it up a bit :) Oh, and the picture on the right is of Drew (yes he is Zac Efron, he's hot and you know it) The song Just the Girl by The Click Five is really old, but if you listen to the lryics it really goes with Drew and Melanies relationship... wait you haven't met her yet. You will in the next chapter, then it will make sense. Tell me if you like it! ~ Rena