First Class

I sat back in my leather chair, content to watch as the students filed into my classroom. I smirked to myself as some of the girls gaped at me before remembering themselves and turning around with a fresh blush on their cheeks. My eyes slowly grazed across my new prey, I mean students, as they awkwardly took their seats, examining the environment around them. I continued examining them until the last student took his seat. I arose from my comfortable chair and immediately had every student’s undivided attention.

“Hey.” I said casually. Every kid looked at me like I had three heads. I couldn’t help the smirk that crept its way onto my face.

"I said Hey. You're supposed to respond with a hello or howdy or whatever the hell you kids say these days. Jesus didn't your mothers ever teach you how to have a decent conversation, or do all you kids know how to do is text and chat on Facebook. Pathetic."

Again, all of them looked at me like I was insane. I looked at them all slowly, waiting for them to say something before I continued. They said nothing.

I snorted, “Well I see we have a group full of winners here. Are you guy’s deaf or mute? Say something already.” I glared at them. One girl actually cringed. I resisted another urge to smirk. While they remained silent, I started to slowly pace around the room. I stopped at one kid’s desk. He had dark hair and light blue eyes. For a senior, he still looked pretty awkward. His eyes were facing his desk, as if my presence embarrassed him. I thought that he might be gay, and I couldn’t stop the smirk that appeared on my face.

“You there,” I said loudly and smacked my hand against his desk, making him jump up in surprise, “What’s your name?”

“C-Cody Daniels, sir!” he stammered awkwardly. A few kids laughed, but since I was the adult, I bit my tongue and held in my chuckles.

“Well then, Cody Daniels, since it’s our first day here together, why don’t you tell us all something about yourself.” I suggested. A few girls sitting behind him giggled, and for a minute I really thought he might be gay. Then he spoke.

“Uh I really like to play basketball.” He said lamely.

“Ah, a jock I see. Next.” I said pointing at the girl sitting behind him. She was a cute little thing. She was petite with short strawberry blonde curls. She had a cute round shaped face and big blue eyes. I had to stop myself from staring; she was just a kid for chrissake!

“My name’s Kelly and I love to bake.” She said in a cute southern accent. I randomly thought that if someone made a plushie out of this girl it would be the cutest thing ever. I shook my weird thought away and smiled.

I went around the room and had each student say their name and something about them. After the last student went, Kelly raised her hand.

“You uh… Kelly.” I called on her

“I was just wondering if you were going to tell us about yourself, Mr. Asher.” She asked politely.

I stared at her for a minute, mentally debating whether to answer her question. Her question was fair enough, they should know a little something about their own teacher, right? I thought about what to tell them about myself, and realized that I didn’t have anything particularly special to say. I had to wing it.

“Well, I just started my teaching career today, so this is the first class I have ever taught in my whole life…” I paused lamely for a second but then regained myself, “Like all of you, I have a best friend, decent house to live in, and a life outside of school that is completely different from the one I am living now. Yes I have an Xbox, and yes I have a gamer tag, but I’ll never tell you what it is. Anything else?” I looked around the room, scanning for any kid that was brave enough to ask me a question.

A girl sitting in the back row shyly raised her hand. Her cheeks were slightly red, making me mentally groan. Please god don’t have her ask “Are you single?” or “What type of girl do you like?”

“Yes.” I said pointing at the girl with her hand raised.

“Um…” she began awkwardly, “Do you have a girlfriend?” I cringed. She had asked the question. All of the other girls instantly perked up, waiting for my answer, hope gleaming in their eyes. My eyes narrowed, I knew I had to handle this very delicately, and if I said one wrong word, my life as a teacher would become a living hell.

“No, I don’t, and I don’t want one either. You see, when you come right down to it, women are a pain in the ass. They’re needy, clingy, and whiney. I don’t feel like dealing with them anytime soon.” I stated simply.

 The boys couldn’t help it, they started cracking up. I smiled too; of course they all knew what I was talking about. I was slowly starting to gain their respect, the most important thing a teacher needs to obtain. The girls, however, were not laughing. They actually looked pissed off, very pissed off. I told the boys to calm down, and then addressed the girls.

“Look, girls. When I say women, I mean women. Not young ladies. None of you here are women, so please, don’t take what I just said offensively. None of that applies to you until you graduate from college and get a job.” The girls slowly started to look not as mad, but they still gave me tiny glares. Good grief. Even though they weren’t women yet, they certainly were acting like them. I would never tell them that though.

After that, I went over the course requirement with them, and all that other boring stuff. The kids didn’t appear to be bored though. I knew exactly what they were doing because I had done it on the first day of school too. They were analyzing me. I personally didn’t mind, I was long past feeling nervous. On the contrary, I actually felt comfortable. They could feel it too, because the overall atmosphere of the classroom and switched from awkward and unsure to warm and comfortable.

By the time class ended, I was actually a little sad to see them go. I quickly reminded myself that I would see them again tomorrow, and I had 6 more classes to deal with.

“Bye, Mr. Asher.” The blonde girl called to me in her southern accent. I smiled at her, something I probably hadn’t done all day.

“Bye to you too, Kelly.” She gave me one last warm smile before walking out into the hallway. Once the last student was out of my classroom, I shut the door and slumped back into my comfortable chair. Jeez, who knew being a teacher took this much effort. I sighed out loud and let myself relax for a minute before forcing myself to get up and open the classroom door again so my new students could come in.

Yeah... sorry it's so short. I just felt the need to update it, it looked so lonely with only one chapter! I'll write more soon (or as soon as I get a muse, that is) I promise! I don't really have much to say... I just plan on this story getting a lot better. Jeez, you guys haven't even met Drews(Mr. Asher) love interest yet! Don't worry, you'll al meet her in the next chapter. Oh, and the guy on the right is Ryan (yes that is Jesse McCartney for anyone who remembers him, he was the Justin Bieber of my childhood) Oh, and I lied. I said that last time you were gonna meet Melanie... but you don't. You DO meet her in the next chapter though, seriously, I promise :) I'll post a picture of her too.

And the song... hehe it just makes me smile. It doesn't have any real relevance to the story (well other than I can TOTALLY see Ryan and Drew singing that back when they were in middle school :P)

Oh... and another thing. Votes, comments, and views really inspire me to write more... just saying :) As always, enjoy! ~Rena