Chapter 3

English seemed to drag on for hours and hours.  I sit at the back so no one realises I’m there. Miss Baker, probably in her young 20’s, has explained what a noun is since freshman year. For God’s sack we get it! But I’ll just sit here and listen for one more year. Today in English we got a project that will count for 75% of our final part. We need to act out the Shakespeare play ‘Romeo and Juliet’, however I couldn’t choose my group but Mrs Baker did. And guess who I ended with? Ryan Bryson (the captain of the football team, the guy every girl falls for), Ally (thank god someone I know) and Lucas Archer. Great, this is going to be fun. Note the sarcasm.

We sat down and got our notebooks out to write ideas in. That was until we realised we didn’t have even one idea.

“I don’t want to be Juliet!” Ally suddenly called out, “I’m a terrible actress and I would stuff up all the lines and be totally embarrassing”

“Well I don’t want to be Romeo. I would be horrible for the part,” Ryan states firmly.

I rolled my eyes. Why was everyone so picky? I didn’t really care who I was as long as I don’t fail English this year. Suddenly something dawned on me. If Ally won’t be Juliet…….and Ryan won’t be Romeo.....THAT MEANS I HAVE TO BE JULLIET AND LUCAS HAS TO BE ROMEO!!!!!

“Wait, wait, so does that mean Summer and I have to be…..” Lucas started.

“Yup, say hello to your new love interest, Romeo!” says Ally loudly, “how cute will you two be together!”

Everyone looks up and just stares at us. Some girls are staring enviously at me and others look like they’re about to burst out laughing. I would do just about anything to get out of this situation. So I tried to negotiate it with Ally.

“Oh come on Ally you’re a great actress your very dramatic all the time,” I say smiling at her and giving her puppy dog eyes which are just a disguise for ‘GET ME OUT OF HERE NOW!!!’

“No thanks Summer, I’m sure you’ll be a great Juliet,” Ally replies smiling back sweetly at me.

“What you aren’t scared of me are you?” Lucas asks me raising his eyebrow.

“What… NO, of course I’m not scared of you, you’re a  jerk,” I confirm trying to sound as confident as possible.

“You sure?” he asks.

“Definitely,” I nod.

And with that we got to work. We decided that Ally and Ryan were going to be a lot of the other minor parts that were in the play. We finished writing up our script since we had a double period then started to practice. We stood up and went to one corner of the classroom. We decided to start practicing with a scene we all knew the words to.

I started reciting in my best voice.

“O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo”

There was an awkward silence.

“Wow you were right maybe I should have been Juliet. You said that with as much emotion as a dead cow,” Ally commented.

“Well thanks, it’s a gift,” I replied sarcastically.

“You’re welcome, now try to get a little more into character for the sake of everyone here,” begged Ally.

“Well I’m sorry though its hard to say things with emotion when you don’t even know what it means,” I say crossing my arms.

To my surprise its Lucas who answers me, “Basically its Julliet asking Romeo why their family’s have to hate eachother.”

I nod, “Fine, I’ll try again.”

“O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo,” I recite again trying to sound a desperate as possible.

I continue, “Defy they father and and refuse thy name. Or if thou will not, be but sworn my love. And I'll no longer be a Capulet.”

“How was I?” I question nervously.

“IF you do that for the final performance we’ll get top marks for shore,” Lucas says nodding while giving me a small smile.

“You were fantastic!” Ally shouts giving me a big hug while Ryan just nodds.

Maybe this won’t be as bad as I thought it would be.