Chapter 13 l

Dedicated: To all my wonderful readers

Chapter Thirteen: She's like the Dumbledore to our Hogwarts!

Katerina's POV

Over the next couple of weeks, it was safe to say that a quiet understanding had formed between me and Nevada. At school, if we happen to cross paths, a small smile and nod of acknowledgement was passed amongst us. During class I would often find her more awake than asleep, albeit still causing trouble for the teachers. At times when she would find me alone, she would enquire about Juliette. It seemed as though my dear little sister had managed to wrap another unsuspecting person around her little fingers.

Mindy Crawford was still curious about her unusual encounter with Nevada and me at the shopping mall. I laughed it off and said the mall was crowded with all kinds of people, it could've been anyone. The answer seemed to satisfy her momentarily and she went back to talking about her 'Save the African Wild Ass' campaign. I inwardly groaned at the lie.

It wasn't until a late Friday afternoon, during Hunter's football practice where I formally invited Nevada Adams to my house. Something I never imagined myself doing.

The afternoon bell rang signalling the end of the day. As everyone rushed out excited to start the weekend and leave behind anything and everything associated with the word 'school', I calmly remained in my seat waiting for the rush hour to dwindle down. After gathering things from my locker, I began making my way towards the football field where Hunter's practice was taking place. Walking down the empty corridor, I soon found myself getting lost in my thoughts, only to crash into a bin and fall backwards. I heard a soft chuckle behind me and then an outstretched hand.

"It hurts doesn't it?"

I winced and looked up. She had her usual smirk on her face and wild auburn hair flowing around her. I grabbed the hand and she pulled me up. Like Hunter, she had her customary 'bad girl' outfit consisting of black jeans, black boots, black jacket, and a grey Guns N' Roses t-shirt.

"I apologize a thousand times for all those times I knocked you over" I replied still wincing at my sore bottom. She laughed and began walking alongside me.

"I shouldn't be surprised, but how come you haven't gone home yet?" She asked kicking a locker door shut.

"Hunter has football practice", I replied tucking a piece of loose hair away that seemed to have escaped from my bun.

"Oh right. The big game is next week. I bet he's pumped for it." All around us there were numerous posters advertising the big game between the Black Panthers and Green Hornets. Two rivalling football teams who had never seen eye to eye. The school had been buzzing all week about the upcoming game, and truth be told even I was looking forward to it.

"Yeah, he's really excited for it. Coach said there might be even be a college scout", in reality Hunter couldn't care less for the game. The only reason he was going was because he was still trying to get into my father's good book and because sports was one of the many subjects he wasn't failing at.

"What about you?" I turned to her, "what are you still doing here?"

"Ah well I have a special appointment with my all-time favourite principal. My name seems to be permanently inked on that naughty list."

I felt my cheeks warm up at the mention of that dreaded list.

"Oh, well then you should hurry up. I mean you don't want to keep Principal VanHorne waiting" I told her urging her to go on. But she didn't seem fazed at the prospect of being late; instead she lazily walked beside me.