chapter fourteen.

( CHAPTER FOURTEEN )
GUILT AND REGRET

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

18 MARCH 2008

THUNDER RUMBLED VIOLENTLY ABOVE THEM AS THE THREE NEW VAMPIRES NEARED. The black vampire with dreads held the baseball they had been using tightly in his hand. Carter watched them all carefully, knowing that something bad was going to happen very soon. All she wanted to do was run away and go back to Robyn where she knew she'd be safe-or at least where she hoped she'd be safe. Though, she knew the Cullens would protect them at all costs. If not all of the Cullens, then at least Edward would because he was in love with Bella and knew how badly it would affect the Swan girl if her best friend was killed. The three vampires stopped several feet away from them all, but Carter still felt as if they were uncomfortably close. The man with dreads held up the baseball with a smirk.

"I believe this belongs to you," he said with a European accent Carter couldn't place. He threw the ball at Carlisle at a fast speed, but the blond man caught it with ease. He held it up next to his head and gave a brief nod towards the man, thanking him for returning the object. The man then introduced himself and his friends, pointing to the other two who accompanied him when he spoke their names. "I am Laurent. And this is Victoria and James."

The menacing look James gave them all made Carter's skin crawl. Carlisle then introduced himself and his family, turning his head both ways to look at his family members (including Carter and Bella) that stood on either side of him. Laurent greeted them dutifully as every Cullen stared them down warily. Carlisle told them, "I believe your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us."

"Our apologies." Laurent said to Carlisle. "We didn't realize the territory had been claimed."

"Yes," Carlisle responded, "well, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Carter looked at the other three vampires more closely, noticing how their eyes were a deep and striking shade of red. Her hold on Bella's hand tightened. Laurent turned to James, who was looking ready to fight the Cullens at any moment.

"Really?" Laurent questioned. James' head tilted to the side curiously as his gaze met Edward's. "Well, we won't be a problem anymore. We were just passing through."

The red-head with them then spoke, a smirk playing on her lips. "The humans were tracking us, but we led them east. You should be safe."

Carlisle gave the woman a forced smile. "Excellent."

"So," Laurent chuckled, "could you use three more players?" Everyone turned to Carlisle, waiting to see what he would say. Carter was mentally screaming at him to make up an excuse that would allow Edward to safely get herself and Bella far away from where they currently were. She moved her body closer to her friend, stepping up next to Edward and trying to block Bella from their view a little more. Bella pulled at her hand, trying to tug her back next to her, but Carter refused to move. She needed to protect Bella. Sure, Bella had Edward to protect her and he was more capable of protecting the girl than Carter was, but she'd never forgive herself if she let something happen to her friend. Especially if she just stood by and watched as Bella was possibly torn apart by the three nomadic vampires before them. She refused to let that happen. Laurent encouraged Carlisle to let them play one game of baseball with them.

"Sure. Why not?" Carlisle finally gave in. "A few of us were leaving. You could take their place. We'll bat first."

Carlisle tossed the ball back to them and Victoria caught it before Laurent could. The smirk that never seemed to leave her face widened as she spoke. "I'm the one with the wicked curveball."