chapter five.

( CHAPTER FIVE )
BEFORE: ABOMINATIONS

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

6 NOVEMBER 1997

CARTER'S HIGH-PITCHED SQUEAL OF LAUGHTER sounded in the air. The five-year-old ran from her fourteen-year-old brother, Josh, with a wide smile plastered on her face. Josh chased her through the house as Carter chanted, "You can't catch me! You can't catch me!"

They were playing Tag and Carter had ambushed him outside by their mother's rose bushes, so now he was "it" and he would never admit that Carter was actually a lot faster than he thought she'd be. He wanted her to think that he was letting her win when in all actuality he couldn't catch her because he couldn't keep up.

Josh ran into the kitchen to see Carter hiding behind the legs of their pregnant mother, Julia. He stopped in front of Julia, who smiled down at her kids lovingly. Josh reached around her legs for Carter. Carter squealed again when he almost got her and ran off again.

"Go outside, please! You'll break something!" Julia called to her children. Josh and Carter yelled back incoherent responses and ran outside into the front yard. Their game continued for another fifteen minutes before Josh finally gave up on tagging Carter. He jogged over to the large tree that stood to the left of their home and sat down underneath it. He struggled to catch his breath and suddenly Carter came over with his inhaler held firmly in her hand. She smiled at him and held the object out to him, which he took from her gently with a small smile. Josh quickly shook his inhaler and then took a hit, feeling the pressure on his lungs ease as his breath returned to him.

"Thanks, Car," he muttered, patting the spot next to him. Carter took the seat he offered her and together they sat under the tree, making jokes and talking about the newest episode of Carter's favorite cartoon. It was peaceful until the old man who lived next to them exited his home, stomping up to them. Quickly, Josh stood up and pulled Carter with him. They made a break for the front door, but the old man cut them off. Josh pushed his sister behind him protectively, knowing the old man was aggressive and sometimes deranged.

"You stupid, stupid children! Which one of you defaced my property!?" The old man shouted at them. Carter whimpered behind Josh and buried her face in his back. Josh stood his ground and stole a glance at the man's house, seeing nasty writing and drawings on his front door and on his vehicle.

"That wasn't us," Josh told him timidly. Him and certainly not Carter, who had no idea what the words and drawings on the man's property even were, had vandalized them. Josh would never even think about vandalizing something, let alone actually do it. Carter was too young to even know what the words meant. The only thing she had ever vandalized was Josh's brand new pair of all-white sneakers he had gotten a year ago. Carter had wanted to make them "pretty," as she had told him. So she had taken her coloring markers and drawn pictures of dogs and cats and other things like flowers all over them. He was furious at the time but eventually got over it. Josh still wore those sneakers, not caring what anybody thought of them.

"LIAR!" The old man boomed, startling Josh. Josh reached behind him and grabbed Carter's hand, squeezing it reassuringly and taking a step back. Carter peeked around Josh at the old man. His face was red with anger, his mouth curled into a feral snarl and his eyes glaring at her brother with pure fury. When he spoke, spit flew from his mouth in all directions. He was a frightening sight to the five-year-old girl. To Josh, he was just a bitter, angry old man who hated everyone he came into contact with.

"I'm not lying, Mr. Bateman! I'm telling you the truth!" Josh retorted.

"That's what all liars say so they won't get caught! But I know the truth, you stupid boy! You stupid little pissant!" Josh backed up again, only for Bateman to follow his movement and step forward. Suddenly, the end of Mr. Bateman's ugly brown robe he was wearing caught flame. He screamed and began swatting at the flames, hoping to put them out quickly. Josh and Carter's father, Clay, then walked up, not seeming surprised or worried about the old man's robe being aflame. He stood in front of his kids protectively and glared at the man before him as the flame began to die out, having burned half of the robe to a crisp.

"I suggest you leave now, Mr. Bateman. My kids are innocent and do not need your harassment about something they didn't do." Clay spoke calmly, his voice deep and commanding. Mr. Bateman stared hatefully into the man's eyes, but his stark green eyes widened when something unnatural flashed in Clay's eyes, changing his eyes completely. Fearfully, Bateman backed away quickly, keeping his now horrified gaze on Clay Steele.

Nearly tripping over his own feet, Mr. Bateman pointed his index finger at the trio and frightfully yelled, "ABOMINATIONS! YOU'RE ALL ABOMINATIONS! CHRIST HAS DAMNED YOU ALL!"

Bateman ran back into his home after that. Clay turned and picked up Carter, telling Josh to come inside as he once again entered the home with Carter in his arms. Josh stayed behind for a moment, staring at Bateman's house and noticing how the man began shutting all the curtains on his windows as quickly as possible. His eyebrows furrowed. Josh turned his head towards his own home, wondering what had frightened the old man so badly. But something he would never forget now lingered in his mind. One simple word that meant much more to Josh than anyone else: abomination.

─────────────────────

author's note

I know this was majorly short, but I warned in the last chapter that it would be short anyway because of it being a "before" part. so this whole chapter is just a little insight into Carter's past and it is also very important for you to try and remember! there will also be kind of a big time jump in the next chapter after chapter 4. I hope you enjoyed! x

p.s. I've been going back and forth as to whether or not Carter should have a love interest in this book. the plot to this one does not necessarily call for a love interest, but I do not want to completely throw it out the window as an option until I have all your opinions. if you want Carter to have a love interest, comment "I" and who you would like it to be. (NOTE: it HAS to be one of the Wolf Pack members, no exceptions.) majority rules! x

QOTD: what do you think frightened Mr. Bateman so badly?

© ATOMICSKIES