Donkey Legs

Annabeth point of view (percy's is soon, promise)

"Percy please stop humming."

"Sorry, I can't help it."

"Well, if you value your life you can."

"But it's a good song."

"Oh sure, be sure to tell the monsters that when they rip your voice box out."

He sighed. "Fine." I felt a bit bad for snapping at him the past few hours, but the more the misery water dried, the further my sense of humor and patience shriveled up. He was just trying to keep things light. I sighed audibly.

He shuffled the dirt in front of him a few times before wondering aloud. "Gee, for a place known for the spawning of all the monsters and other hellish creatures it seems to be a bit barren to me."

That thought had been worrying me for the past thirty minutes. Fear was slowly creeping it's way up my throat and I couldn't help but shiver when he confirmed my train of thought.

"Yeah, it's a bit strange."

"Dya suspect an ambush?" He raised his eyebrow in question.

"Honestly, that hadn't occurred to me. I don't know if anything knows we're down here yet.."
I twirled a strand of my hair nervously, an obnoxious habit I tried to get rid of and its girlishness. Everytime I did it I felt myself sinking deeper and deeper into the stereotypical dumb blonde. And I had every reason to defy it. Except for my looks.

Percy cleared his throat. "Let's keep it that way."

I glanced over to him. "Which means you have to stop humming."

"Fair enough."

The sound of gushing water was still echoing  around us. We were still wet, with sweat and the remnants of the misery. We both still felt the sorrow, the guilt, the pain. Maybe it would cloud over us until we escaped. Maybe it wouldn't.

Instead of  the steady crash of tides on the glassy shore, it sounded like TV static; crackling and popping off the sand and walls. It made me wonder what type of river we would approach next.

"Gods, I'm thirsty," Percy whispered. His voice cracked from the dryness.

"Any water left in the canteens?"

"Not a lot, we have to ration, remember?"

I cursed myself. "Yeah, sorry. I think the heat is getting to my head."

"Y-yeah." He shuddered. "I feel... Sick. I'm freezing and shivering yet my face feels like it's going to melt off."  He wiped his forehead.

"That's what.. This place d-does."

He scowled and rolled his eyes.

"Oh, did you read up on it? Perhaps a tourist paper?" His tone was snarky. I grit my teeth.

"It's not the time and no I did not, Percy. We are the first ones in here."

"Well that's just fabulous. We c-could really u-use a tour to get out." He said. Despite the sarcasm, bitterness and anger was evident in his voice. He was holding back a lot.

An odd noise rang from behind us. We froze immediately and turned slowly, only to hear a clip-clopping noise echoing off the walls.

Through the heavy shadows emerged a human like shape. A limp was seen easily. It was obvious something heavy was holding it back. Was it injured? I hoped so.

Percy whipped out Riptide and the Ichor-like light shone in front. His eyes flashed in warning. My knife cast a faint glow. Together, we could pick out the vague form approaching us.

It had a .. Donkey leg? For a fleeting second, I wondered if Grover fell in behind us and somehow survived the fall. But the closer the thing got the more that idea evaporated.

There was a metal leg that whirred and clanked with each step. A skirt brushed its thighs and it what was strange about it was how hauntingly similar it was to a cheerleaders outfit. At the waist fell long dark curls and in its hands were two Pom poms.

I heard Percy gasp. I looked at the face.

Beautiful dark skin was framed by onyx curls. The eyes were wide and a fool would perceive it as childlike awe but mania was evident. Murder. Red lips stretched into a wide smile. Behind them was... Fangs. Sharp white vampire fangs.

This was - this was an emposai.

"Well, well, well, look at what we have here. Two little fleas Zeus allowed to live on the earth. In my home too. How rude." she sounded like she was holding back a laughing fit. Her words bubbled out of her throat in a peppy way and her masked excitement made my heart clench.

"Annabeth..." Percy trailed off. It would be hopeless with him. I couldn't remember why, but I knew with boys, it would be nearly impossible to kill her.

She stalked closer and closer and giggled.

"My name is Kelli and I would so love to give you two a tour through my home. But like, I'm totally going to kill you instead. Sorry!"

Hey I updated wow

I kinda like this chapter even tho is short.

SORURYRYRYRY

Well, if you like it, PLEAEE comment and vote plelslelel

Love,

Noelle