{chapter four}

CHAPTER FOUR

Colten spent most of his week antisocial with his bay gelding, checking up on local grazing cattle. Which took him out the front door at five in the morning, and left him off somewhere around supper time.

On the road and heading home, he forced himself to think over the approaching weekend and his date with Sarah the next day.

Adjusting his hands on the steering wheel, he fiddled with the windows, rolling them down and hitting the air conditioning off. Nervousness, anger, annoyance with himself all got the better of him as he came up on an old truck pulled over on the side of the road.

A very familiar old truck.

His foot left the gas as he slowed, staring at the broken down vehicle. The sight of her stepping out from under the hood made him hit the break. His horse in the trailer stomped in protest, neighing and causing a racquet.

He leaned forward out of his seat, “Abi.”

She smiled, “Colten.”

Shoving his truck into park, he tried to calm the instantaneous wolf melt-down happening inside himself, “Is there something wrong with your truck?”

She walked to the passenger window, beaded with sweat and dust, “Yeah, again.”

“What's wrong with it?”

She leaned into the window, “Mmm... I don't know. Everything? Daddy likely won't pay to fix it this time.”

He undid his seat belt, “I'll look at it.”

She smiled, “You don't-”

He jumped out of his truck, not hearing her protesting and grabbed an unopened bottle of water from the bench seat.

Walking around to her, he paused his step on the deserted highway, “Here.”

“Oh, I'm okay.”

He continued to hold it out, “You look hot.”

She reached over and took it, “Usually when a guy says that to a girl, they mean something totally different, but it's nice to know I'm a little gross and dirty.” Laughing as she twisted the top off.

Colten sighed, “I'll take a look at the truck for you.” He stepped up the raised hood, taking in the state of a truck that likely had more issues than him. He couldn't see much, but he tried – for her.

He sat in the driver's seat, his hand coming to ignition to try to turn it over.

“I think you need the keys, Colt.” Abigail walked to him, leaning into the door frame.

He pulled his eyes off her and took the keys, “Might help.”

She giggled.

The truck protested the start-up and then just gave up all together.

Abigail hung off the door, “It's done in.”

He glanced at her, “Well, not necessarily.”

“Daddy won't be that hopeful of it.” She sighed, “I forgot my cell phone at home, maybe I could use yours to call my parents? I'll tell them to come get me.”

Colten dug for his flip-phone and passed it to her, “I can drive you home. It's just down the road.” Yes, he was willingly putting himself in more pain but she was starting to become worth it in some off way.

She smiled at him, “Colten, this is so old school.”

“I'm old. You didn't get the memo?”